Murmu's stone idol in Odisha Tribal Development Society (OTDS), Bhubaneswar office.
18 May 1905|
Mayurbhanj, Odisha, India
|Died||1 February 1982(aged 76)|
|Occupation||Ideologist, Playwright, and Writer|
|Subject||Writer and Linguistic|
After a brief stint in technical profession, he took up the job of teaching in Badomtolia high school. During this time, his interest was drawn into Santali literatures. Santali is a language with its own special characteristics, and has a literature which dates back to the beginning of the 15th century. Naturally, he felt that Santals with their rich cultural heritage and tradition also need a separate script to preserve and promote their language, and therefore, he took up the work of inventing Ol Chiki script for writing Santali.The epoch making invention of Ol Chiki script was unveiled in 1925. In the novel Bidu Chandan,he has vividly described how god Bidu, and godess Chandan who appear on Earth as human being would have naturally invented the Ol Chiki script in order to communicate with each other using written Santali. He wrote over 150 books covering a wide spectrum of subjects such as grammar, novels, drama, poetry, and story in Santali using Ol Chiki as a part of his extensive programme for culturally upgrading the Santal community."Darege Dhan", "Sidhu-Kanhu", "Bidu Chandan" and "Kherwal Bir" are among the most acclaimed of his works. Pandit Raghunath Murmu is popularly known as GURU GOMKE among the Santals, a title that was conferred on him by the Mayurbhanj Adibasi Mahasabha. Besides the Govt of West Bengal and Orissa, several other organizations/associations including Orissa Sahitya Academy have honoured him in various ways and Hon D. Litt. was conferred on him by Ranchi University. The great thinker, philosopher, writer, and dramatist breathed his last breath on 1st February, 1982.
- Nayak, Dr. Rajkishore (10 May 2017). "ପ୍ରଣମ୍ୟ ପୁରୁଷ: ପଣ୍ଡିତ ରଘୁନାଥ ମୁର୍ମୁ". Suryaprava. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- "Pandit Raghunath Murmu". anagrasarkalyan.gov.in. Retrieved 13 November 2015.
- Published Book ALANG GAR
- 1937-, Mahapatra, Sitakant, (2008). Ethnicity and the state : Raghunath Murmu and emergence of Jharkhand. UBS Publishers' Distributors. ISBN 8174766138. OCLC 680430908.
- "raghunath murmu jayanty 16011812". www.jagran.com. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- M, Lambert (2010). Raghunath Murmu. Betascript Publishing. ISBN 3639915461.
- "सिदगोड़ा टाउन हॉल में रघुनाथ मुर्मू जयंती 5 अप्रैल को". http://www.livehindustan.com (in Hindi). Retrieved 2017-05-20. External link in