|Place of origin||India|
|Region or state||Karnataka|
|Main ingredients||Finger millet flour, water|
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ragi rotti (Kannada: ರಾಗಿ ರೊಟ್ಟಿ) is a breakfast food of the state of Karnataka, India. It is most popular in the rural areas of southern Karnataka. It is made of ragi (finger millet) flour. Ragi-Rotti means ragi-pancake in the native language, Kannada. It is prepared in the same way as Akki rotti. The ragi flour is mixed with salt and water and kneaded well to come up with a soft dough. While making the dough; sliced onions and carrots, chopped coriander and cumin seeds can also be added for taste. Oil is spread over a griddle (tava) and a small amount of the dough is neatly spread over it to resemble a thin pancake (rotti). Small amount of oil is spread over it and the griddle is cooked over heat till the rotti turns crisp. Ragi Rotti is served hot and is eaten along with chutney.
Recipe for Ragi Roti
1/2 cup ragi (nachni / red millet) flour 1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped spring onions whites 1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped spring onion greens 1/4 cup grated carrot 1 1/2 tbsp low fat curds (dahi) 1/2 tsp green chilli paste salt to taste
Steps to prepare Ragi Roti:
1. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into soft-smooth dough, using enough water
2. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions
3. Roll out again into a circle of 125 mm (5") diameter, using whole wheat flour
4. Place the roti on a non-stick pan. Turn over in a few seconds
5. Cook the other side for a few more seconds
6. Lift the roti with a pair of flat tongs and roast over an open flame till brown spots appear on both the sides
7. Repeat with the remaining portions to make 3 more rotis
8. Serve hot
Now Ragi Biscuit is in the market, Britannia Nutri Choice is promoting the same.
- Dalal, Tarla. "Ragi Roti". www.tarladalal.com. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
|This Karnataka-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|