Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Pawan Kripalani|
|Produced by||Ekta Kapoor
Sidhartha M. Jain
|Screenplay by||Pawan Kripalani
|Story by||Pawan Kripalani|
|Music by||Shamir Tandon
S D Burman
|Edited by||Pooja Ladha Surti|
|Distributed by||ALT Entertainment
Balaji Motion Pictures
|Budget||₹13 million (US$200,000)|
|Box office||₹90 million (US$1.4 million)|
Ragini MMS is a 2011 Indian found footage horror film directed by Pawan Kripalani and produced by Jeetendra and Shobha Kapoor of Balaji Telefilms. It was released on 13 May 2011 (Friday the 13th). The film is inspired by the 2007 American supernatural horror film Paranormal Activity and is partly based on the real story of a girl from Delhi named Deepika.
- Kainaz Motivala as Ragini
- Rajkumar Rao as Uday
- Rajat Paul as Vishal
- Janice as Piya
- Shernaz as Neha
- Vinod Rawat as Jigar
- Harshraj Shroff as Friend 1
- Cristy Philips as Friend 2
- M. Ravichandran Thevar as Friend 3
- Mangala White as Ghost Spirit
The film was originally titled Raginni MMS but a numerologist advised Ekta Kapoor to change it to Ragini MMS. The film took only 25 days to shoot. Total six cameras were used to shot the film including Canon 7D, Arri Alexa and a handicam. The size of the total footage shot was around 2.5 terabytes.
The film had a midnight première on 13 May 2011 in Pune. The film opened to a very good response in its first week grossing ₹ 77.5 million. It was steady during its second week and grossed ₹ 99.4 million at the end of its second week. The film recovered its cost within two days of release.
Upon release, the film met with mixed reviews. Taran Adarsh from Bollywood Hungama gave it 4/5 stars and called it a "creepy, spine-chilling date movie" saying, "Ragini MMS amalgamates components of horror, paranormal and sex seamlessly. It titillates, it petrifies, but most importantly, it tells you a story which is daunting, imaginative and unconventional." Naresh Deoshi from Apunka Choice also gave the film 4/5 stars calling it "a damn scary film!" Ankur Pathak from Rediff.com gave the film 3.5/5 stars and said "Ekta Kapoor's new film is terrifyingly real, and immensely watchable for the cold fright it inspires. She must be lauded for relying on young actors, and believing in the risky attempt of largely untouched storytelling." Nikhat Kazmi from the Times of India gave the film 3.5/5 stars as well. She said "...Ragini MMS makes a heady cocktail of sex and horror that's so very different from run-of-the-mill Bollywood." Shubha Shetty-Saha gave the film a good review of 3/5 and said "some scenes were so scary, that I actually wanted to run out of the theatre."
Mayank Shekhar from the Hindustan Times gave the film 2/5 stars, while Pankaj Sabnani from Glamsham gave the film an average review of 2.5/5 saying "Ragini MMS isn't worth 'circulating', if you have a large appetite for horror." Aniruddha Guha from DNA gave the film 2/5 saying, "Watch Ragini MMS only if you dig cheap thrills. But don't worry about losing sleep thereafter."
Best Searchlight Film – Ekta Kapoor
|Released||19 April 2011|
The music is composed by S. D. Burman, Shamir Tandon, Faizan Hussain, Agnel Roman, and Bappi Lahiri. The soundtrack for the film was released on 19 April 2011. It consists of only four songs, including the hit song "Raat Akeli Hai" from the 1967 film, Jewel Thief. Erik Satie's Gymnopedie No. 1 is also heard in pieces in this film.
|1.||"Itne Kareeb Aao"||Shamir Tandon||Raaj||3:55|
|2.||"Raat Akeli Hai"||S. D. Burman||Asha Bhosle||5:17|
|3.||"Ragini"||Faizan Hussain, Agnel Roman||Faizan Hussain, Agnel Roman||3:27|
|4.||"You Are My Chicken Fry" (Remix)||Bappi Lahiri||Bappi Lahiri, Shweta Shetty||4:07|
A sequel to the movie, Ragini MMS 2 was made and released on 21 March 2014. Continuing the story, the sequel focused on a film crew who went back to the haunted house to shoot a film on the infamous Ragini MMS scandal.Directed by Bhusan patel.
- "Ragini MMS to release on Friday the 13th". The Times of India. 25 January 2011. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- "Ragini MMS : Complete Cast and Crew details". Bollywoodhungama.com. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- Ekta's Ragini MMS inspired from Paranormal activity – Hindustan Times
- "Ekta Kapoor changes spelling of Raginni MMS to Ragini MMS". Business of Cinema. 18 January 2011.
- "Ekta Kapoor plans midnight premiere for Ragini MMS". Bollywoodhungama.com. 29 March 2011. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- "Ragini MMS Week One Territorial Breakdown". Box Office India. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- "Ragini MMS : Movie Review by Taran Adarsh". Bollywoodhungama.com. Archived from the original on 13 May 2011. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- Deoshi, Naresh. "The Ragini MMS Review – A damn scary film! | Kainaz Motivala". ApunKaChoice.com. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- "Review: Ragini MMS is terrifyingly real – Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- Nikhat Kazmi (12 May 2011). "Ragini MMS movie review". The Times of India. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- "Ragini MMS – Film review". Mid-Day. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- "Mayank Shekhar's review: Ragini MMS". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- "Movie Review : Ragini MMS". Glamsham.com. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- "Ragini MMS is wannabe, and gimmicky – Entertainment – DNA". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 15 May 2011.