31 July 1970 |
|Education||University of Oslo; Tisch School of the Arts|
|Occupation||Video game designer and game producer|
|Employer||Funcom; Red Thread Games|
|Notable work||The Longest Journey series
The Secret World
Tørnquist studied art, history and English at St Clare's, a school in Oxford from 1987 to 1989. From 1989 to 1990, he studied philosophy and English at the University of Oslo. After that, from 1990 to 1993 he attended the Undergraduate Film and Television department at the New York University's Tisch School of the Arts. His influences included Joss Whedon and Neil Gaiman.
In 1994, he returned to Oslo, Norway and started working for Funcom as producer, designer, writer, and level-editor of the video game adaptation of Casper. He is credited with popularizing the term "modern adventure" a genre of contemporary adventure game design that began with games such as The Longest Journey, Broken Sword, and Syberia. He felt that a new term was needed for this new generation of adventure games since "the classic point-and-click 'graphical adventure' is dead... The point of the 'modern adventure' [...] is to bring adventure gaming back into the mainstream, and to use technology and gameplay advances to bring the genre forward into the 'next generation'."
On November 1, 2012, Funcom announced that Tørnquist founded an independent game development studio Red Thread Games, which will continue developing The Longest Journey IP under license from Funcom. Simultaneously, Tørnquist stepped down as the Game Director of The Secret World to devote more time to the third entry in TLJ series, Dreamfall Chapters, while still working on TSW as the Creative Director.
Tørnquist has one daughter.
- Casper (1996)
- Dragonheart: Fire & Steel (1996)
- The Longest Journey (1999)
- Anarchy Online (2001)
- Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (2006)
- The Secret World (2012)
- Dreamfall Chapters (2014)
- Tørnquist, Ragnar (August 1, 2003). "I celebrated my birthday yesterday...". Archived from the original on 2004-02-05. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- Jong, Philip (2006-11-04). "Interview with Ragnar Tørnquist on "Modern Adventure"". AdventureClassicGaming.com. Retrieved 2007-06-15.
- Tørnquist, Ragnar (2007-08-29). "Breaking news! Unannounced surprise project just released!". Archived from the original on 2008-06-27. Retrieved 2007-08-30.
On Sunday [26 August 2007], I became the proud father of a baby girl...
- Böke, Ingmar (1 March 2013). "Dreamfall Chapters - Ragnar Tørnquist". Adventure Gamers. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- Sluganski, Randy. "Interview with Ragnar Tørnquist". JustAdventure.com. Retrieved 2007-06-15.
- "Pre-Production Begins On New Game In The Longest Journey Saga". Funcom. 2012-11-01. Retrieved 2012-11-01.