Yahya Rahim Safavi
Yahya Rahim Safavi
|Born||1952 (age 64–65)
|Service/branch||IRGC Ground Forces|
|Years of service||1979–present|
|Commands held||2nd Artillery Brigade
War on Terrorism (2001 uprising in Herat)
2nd grade Fath Medal
Safavi was one of the leaders of the Iran–Iraq War. During the US-led invasion of Afghanistan, he played a key role in the uprising in Herat in November 2001, where American, Iranian and Northern Alliance troops supported a local uprising against the Taliban.
He was replaced as commander of the IRGC by Mohammad Ali Jafari, former director of the Strategic Studies Center of AGIR on 1 September 2007. Then he was appointed the Supreme Leader Ali Khameini's special advisor.
On 24 December 2006, Rahim Safavi was listed in United Nations Security Council Resolution 1737 asking for his assets (among others') to be frozen because of alleged involvements in Iranian nuclear and ballistic missile programmes.
- Poursafa, Mahdi (January 20, 2014). گزارش فارس از تاریخچه نشانهای نظامی ایران، از «اقدس» تا «فتح»؛ مدالهایی که بر سینه سرداران ایرانی نشسته است [From "Aghdas" to "Fath": Medals resting on the chest of Iranian Serdars]. Fars News (in Persian). Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- Charles Raymond Snow (2008). The Case Against Iran. Trafford Publishing. p. 129. ISBN 9781425175962.
- Nahost-Informationsdienst. Deutsches Orient-Institut. 1997. p. 56. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- Rubin, Michael (Fall 2008). "Iran's Revolutionary Guards - A Rogue Outfit?". Middle East Quarterly. XV (4): 37–48. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- Sepehri, Vahid (4 September 2007). "Iran: New Commander Takes over Revolutionary Guards". Radio Free Europe. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- Frederic Wehrey; Jerrold D. Green; Brian Nichiporuk; Alireza Nader; Lydia Hansell; Rasool Nafisi; S. R. Bohandy (2009). "The Rise of the Pasdaran" (PDF). RAND Corporation. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- "Security Council imposes sanctions on Iran for failure to halt uranium enrichment, unanimously adopting Resolution 1737". United Nations.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yahya Rahim Safavi.|
- Yahya Safavi: Shahab 3 Missile with Cluster Warhead Can Destroy Aircraft Carriers. Israel within Range of our Missiles
|Chief commander of
Iranian Revolutionary Guard
Mohammad Ali Jafari