Raid: Shadow Legends
|Raid: Shadow Legends|
|Writer(s)||Paul C.R. Monk|
|Composer(s)||Paul C.R. Monk|
|Platform(s)||Android, iOS, PC|
|Release||July 29, 2018|
Raid: Shadow Legends is a fantasy-themed, turn-based role-playing gacha game. The game's story takes place in the fictional realm of Teleria, which has been subjugated by the Dark Lord Siroth. Players take the role of an ancient Telerian warrior resurrected to defeat the Dark Lord and restore peace and harmony to the territory. Players must assemble an army for battles in settings such as castles, dungeons, deserts and temples defended by enemies and possible allies. Throughout the game, players accumulate Shards, vessels containing the souls of past warriors. Shards come in four types with different properties. The game has two forms of currency: Silver, which is relatively easy to come by, and Gems, which are a lot more difficult to acquire. There is also a cost in Energy for running any of the campaign and dungeon stages. Without Energy you can't progress in the campaign, it runs out quickly, and after the first day players will have to be very careful not to waste it.
The game consists primarily of story-driven single-player campaign with twelve levels, each level made up of seven stages with three levels of difficulty. The single-player campaign is interconnected with a multiplayer component, the Arena, to decide player rankings. Players can also join Clans, through which members fight a Clan Boss together, which brings advanced rewards.
The game has achieved negative attention for its extensive advertising campaign, most notably its sponsorships with a number of YouTube and Twitch content creators. This had led to it becoming an internet meme. It has been praised for its graphics but criticized for its microtransactions. Pocket Gamer welcoming the "sheer graphic quality", "beautifully rendered and animated" characters as well as a "generous experience for new players". However, the game's aggressive monetization has also garnered attention. Gamezebo praised the game for trading "the typical anime-style visuals for a more realistic, dark fantasy look", going on to write about "the truly stunning experience, with some of the finest attack animations and environmental effects we’ve seen in the genre so far." However, the article also criticises the game's underlying monetization, pointing out that progress is difficult, "particularly if you don’t plan on spending any actual money on the various upgrades". In its review, BlueStacks also praised the visuals, saying, "The animations are simply spectacular, with the quality the likes you seldom see in these games," and concluding that "players that enjoy fantasy combat with a more realistic approach—similar to Lord of the Rings—will likely have a very good time with Raid: Shadow Legends." South African technology website htxt.africa praised the graphics, but overall found it boring with too many microtransactions. Droid Gamers said it brings nothing new to the gacha RPG genre.
- "RAID: Shadow Legends — a grittier and realistic twist to traditional gacha games". BlueStacks. 7 March 2019. Retrieved 18 December 2019.
- "Pallium Releases Acclaimed Collection RPG 'RAID: Shadow Legends' on PC". www.businesswire.com. 2020-01-21. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- Takahashi, Dean (28 February 2019). "Plarium's Raid: Shadow Legends takes collectible RPGs into mobile". VentureBeat. Retrieved 4 July 2019.
- Roque, Jack (27 December 2019). "Plarium's Aggressive Marketing of RAID: Shadow Legends Pays Off". Gamer Empire. Retrieved 14 March 2020.
- "Raid: Shadow Legends". KnowYourMeme. 27 September 2020. Retrieved 23 March 2021.
- Jordan, Jon (25 March 2019). "How does Raid: Shadow Legends engage, retain and monetise?". Pocket Gamer. Retrieved 18 December 2019.
- "Raid: Shadow Legends Is Absolute Trash And We're Not Afraid To Say It". TheGamer. 2020-03-04. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- Fox, Glen (1 March 2019). "Raid: Shadow Legends Guide – Tips, Cheats and Strategies". Gamezebo. Retrieved 4 July 2019.
- Lotz, Brendyn (13 August 2019). "We played Raid: Shadow Legends so you don't have to". htxt.africa. Retrieved 7 April 2020.
- Mayhew, Ash (3 March 2019). "Raid: Shadow Legends Review – The gacha RPG to rule them all?". Droid Gamers. Retrieved 7 April 2020.