First light novel volume cover
|RAIL WARS! -日本國有鉄道公安隊-
(Rail Wars! Nihon Kokuyū Tetsudō Kōantai)
|Written by||Takumi Toyoda|
|Illustrated by||Vania 600|
|Imprint||Sohgeisha Clear Bunko|
|Original run||January 16, 2012 – present|
|Rail Wars! Nihon Kokuyū Tetsudō Kōantai The Revolver|
|Written by||Takumi Toyoda|
|Illustrated by||Keiji Asakawa|
|Published by||Mag Garden|
|Original run||November 30, 2012 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Yoshifumi Matsuda|
|Produced by||Sadakazu Kikuchi|
|Written by||Masashi Suzuki|
|Music by||Yoshimasa Fujisawa|
|Original network||TBS, SUN, CBC, BS-TBS|
|Original run||July 4, 2014 – September 19, 2014|
Rail Wars! Nihon Kokuyū Tetsudō Kōantai (RAIL WARS! -日本國有鉄道公安隊-?, lit. Rail Wars! Japanese National Railways Security Force) is a Japanese light novel series written by Takumi Toyoda with illustrations by Vania 600. As of February 2014, eight volumes have been published by Sohgeisha under their Sohgeisha Clear Bunko imprint. A manga adaptation titled Rail Wars! Nihon Kokuyū Tetsudō Kōantai The Revolver began serialization in Mag Garden's Blade Online in 2012. An anime adaptation began airing in July 2014.
The series takes place in an alternate version of Japan where the nationalized railway system was never privatized. Naoto Takayama is an ordinary high school student who aspires to a comfortable life working at Japanese National Railways. He ends up working as a security force trainee, where he unwillingly has to deal with his strange colleagues as well as RJ, a group of extremists who are fighting to privatize the railway.
- Naoto Takayama (高山 直人 Takayama Naoto?)
- Voiced by: Jun Fukuyama
- The main protagonist. While originally he wanted a peaceful life as a driver, he ended as the leader of the Fourth Guard Squad. He is a big train fan and he's very knowledgeable about all types and models. When he was young, he nearly fainted after he had gastritis after he took a picture of a passing train.
- Aoi Sakurai (桜井 あおい Sakurai Aoi?)
- Voiced by: Manami Numakura
- The main female protagonist. She is the most fight-ready member of her team and claims she hates men. She's very athletic and the best at shooting and fighting. It is later revealed that she has hidden feelings for Naoto, but refuses to show it. Her father is a police officer and that greatly influenced her, to the point that she can't differentiate between her job and the police.
- Haruka Kōmi (小海 はるか Kōmi Haruka?)
- Voiced by: Maaya Uchida
- One of the main female protagonists. A well-endowed girl with a sweet demeanor. While she is not very physically strong, she has a good memory and enjoys studying. She has had a crush on Naoto since the time he saved her when she got lost in the railroad museum during their childhood.
- Shō Iwaizumi (岩泉 翔 Iwaizumi Shō?)
- Voiced by: Satoshi Hino
- The other male protagonist. The most easy going and physically fit member of the team. He always wears a yellow stab vest. He seems to have a massive appetite because he exercises efficiently.
- Nana Iida (飯田 奈々 Iida Nana?)
- Voiced by: Yui Horie
- Originally the leader of the Fourth Guard Squad, but after seeing Naoto's leadership skills, she resigns her position as leader and gives it to him (temporarily). She has a cheerful personality and treats her subordinates kindly and equally, but can also be mischievous.
- Mari Sasshō (札沼 まり Sasshō Mari?)
- Voiced by: Hiromi Igarashi
- A friend of Naoto from school who joins the OJT a month after him. She has excellent hearing and enjoys listening to the sounds of trains. She seems to know a lot about Naoto and has a crush on him. She works as a waitress at the train's station restaurant the Fourth Guard Squad usually frequents.
- Hitomi Gonō (五能 瞳 Gonō Hitomi?)
- Voiced by: Mai Nakahara
- The fiendish instructor and commander of the Tokyo Security Force's mobile units. Despite being sometimes harsh, she deeply cares for the safety of the passengers. She is close friends with Nana.
- Noa Kashima (鹿島乃亜 Kashima Noa?)
- Voiced by: Minori Chihara
- A recently popular idol. She is the main vocal of the idol unit unoB, as well as writing the lyrics and composing the songs for the unit. She develops a crush on Naoto after he saves her from a crazed man during a concert.
Rail Wars! began as a light novel series written by Takumi Toyoda, with illustrations by Vania 600. The first novel was published by Sohgeisha on January 16, 2012 under their Sohgeisha Clear Bunko imprint, and nine volumes have been released as of June 20, 2014.
|1||January 16, 2012||ISBN 978-4-88144-150-3|
|2||May 15, 2012||ISBN 978-4-88144-159-6|
|3||September 15, 2012||ISBN 978-4-88144-167-1|
|4||November 15, 2012||ISBN 978-4-88144-169-5|
|5||February 15, 2013||ISBN 978-4-88144-173-2|
|6||May 15, 2013||ISBN 978-4-88144-179-4|
|7||September 19, 2013||ISBN 978-4-88144-182-4|
|8||January 31, 2014||ISBN 978-4-88144-188-6|
|9||June 20, 2014||ISBN 978-4-88144-192-3|
|10||December 25, 2014||ISBN 978-4-88144-201-2|
|11||July 11, 2015||ISBN 978-4-88144-210-4|
|12||December 24, 2015||ISBN 978-4-88144-216-6|
|13||August 3, 2016||ISBN 978-4-88144-220-3|
A manga adaptation, titled Rail Wars! Nihon Kokuyū Tetsudō Kōantai The Revolver (RAIL WARS! -日本國有鉄道公安隊- The Revolver?) and illustrated by Keiji Asakawa, began serialization in Mag Garden's Blade Online magazine on November 30, 2012. The first tankōbon volume was released on November 9, 2013.
An anime adaptation by Passione began airing on TBS on the broadcast night of July 3, 2014. The opening theme is titled "Mukai Kaze ni Utarenagara" (向かい風に打たれながら?) and is sung by Minori Chihara. The ending theme is titled OVERDRIVER and is sung by ZAQ. The anime has been licensed by Sentai Filmworks.
|1||"Welcome to K4!"
"Ke-yon e yōkoso!" (けーよんへようこそ！)
|July 4, 2014|
|Naoto Takayama is on his way to enroll in Japan's National Railway Central Academy (JNRC). Along the way, he encounters two classmates, Aoi Sakurai and Haruka Kōmi. He befriends them and they form a group with Shō Iwaizumi, another classmate. They participate in various activities including shooting practice. One of the tests is coal-throwing. The four participate and are the only group to pass and succeed in attaining a speed of 100 km/h. During their final training on-site, they end up as a group and succeed in catching a pair of thieves. They are all granted participation rights to the OJT (On Job Training).|
|2||"Just Let Me for a Little"
"Chotto dake kōsasete" (ちょっとだけこうさせて)
|July 11, 2014|
|Takayama and his friends are assigned to the Public Safety Force (PSF) under care of the Fourth Peacekeeper Squad Leader, Nana Iida. They observe as the PSF squad is deployed as a bomb is supposedly planted in the Yokohama Station. The four are assigned to keep guard and help at the Tokyo station, much to Sakurai's disappointment. The perpetrator notifies the defense force that actually the real target is the Tokyo station. They want ¥100 million in exchange for the disclosure of the bomb's location. Takayama and his friends are given the chance to search for the bomb before it goes off at three. They search the lockers without success. Iwaizumi suggests they search in the place they would least expect, a dog carrier at the lost & found center. They close off the area and Sakurai attempts to defuse the bomb with Takayama's help. Sakurai uses the liquid nitrogen from a restaurant to freeze the bomb's circuit with five seconds remaining. The perpetrator is arrested and Takayama is assigned to be the deputy squad leader.|
"Kakko yokatta yo!" (カッコよかったよ！)
|July 18, 2014|
|Takayama's friend, Mari Sasshō, works in a restaurant near the defense headquarters. While eating lunch, she serves them and is introduced to everyone. She will also be attending the same Academy. The next day, Sasshō's friend Kaori goes missing and she requests the Defense Four's help finding her. They go through reports to no success and Sasshō ends up hearing Kaori's phone ringtone in the lost and found. She listens to an audio recording on the phone and hears the sound of waves and specifics to a certain station with her excellent hearing. They search through warehouses along the line and fine her tied up as the witness of a crime scene. They take down the criminals and take Kaori to the hospital.|
|4||"I Think I Like It"
"Kiniitchatta kamo ne" (気に入っちゃったかもね)
|July 25, 2014|
|The Defense Four are assigned as the JNR idol Noa Kashima's guards during a performance on the beach. After guarding her from a fan at the station, Takayama faints. As thanks, Kashima gives him her stamp collection book. During a practice session, flash paper (Nitrocellulose) is burnt as a threat to Kashima's performance. The following day, during the performance, the criminal, disguised as a member of staff, attempts to run on stage and stab Kashima. Thanks to Iida's quick thinking, they manage to play it off as a performance. Takayama gets stabbed, but is saved by the stamp book in his chest pocket. In the end, it seems that Kashima develops romantic feelings towards Takayama.|
"Miru n janai wa yo" (見るんじゃないわよ)
|August 1, 2014|
|After Takayama's morning shooting practice with Sakurai, the Defense Four (Takayama, Sakurai, Iwaizumi and Haruka) are tasked with finding the Tokyo station bomber's accomplice. Takayama and Sakurai find and pursue him, waiting for backup from the public safety force (PSF). They lose him after he exits the train and runs into a forest and end up spending the night at a station together. Thanks to this, Takayama misses a trip he was planning. In the morning, they find him attempting to board a train at the station. The bomber leaves behind a bomb on the tracks and gets away again. Takayama has Sakurai shoot the rock fall sensors to signal an approaching train. The criminal is later caught by the PSF and they arrive back safely. Sakurai insists on giving Takayama more training, irritating Haruka in the process.|
|6||"I'll Protect You"
"Watashi ga mamotte miserukara" (わたしが守ってみせるから)
|August 8, 2014|
|The Defense Four are detained to their homes for a week due to the events of the previous episode. Takayama receives a letter with the text "Today could be your last day." Takayama calls Sakurai for assistance. Sakurai does not answer so he instead calls Haruka. Sakurai spots Haruka on the way to meet Takayama in Akihabara. After seeing the letter, Haruka suggests the sender could be an accomplice of the bomber of the Ashio Line. They are interrupted by a JNR mascot, Tsubarail and move to a different location. Sakurai calls Takayama back but during their conversation, a gust of wind surprises Sakurai and her phone breaks when she drops it. Sakurai spots them again while walking out of the phone repair shop. She shoots Takayama out of jealousy. Haruka and Takayama mistake this for a sniper and continue running away from Sakurai, who they mistake for the accomplice. Sakurai is also tailed by a police officer for shooting a gun in public. Takayama stumbles and falls on top of Haruka after climbing a fence. They fall on a supply of cat food and are later surrounded by cats, lured by the smell of the cat food. Sakurai finds remains of Haruka's clothes and tracks them. Takayama and Haruka seek refuge in the Transportation Museum. Iida and Gonō find Sakurai out on the streets but they are interrupted as Gonō receives a call that the alarm system at the Transportation Museum was tripped. Thieves also seem to have broken in to the Transportation Museum but they are stopped by Sakurai. It is revealed that Takayama and Haruka met eight years ago in the museum when she was trapped in a closet. Takayama came to her rescue then. After the thieves are taken care of, they find out that the letter was just an advertisement for JNR Life Insurance.|
|7||"You Look Good in That"
"Niatteta to omoukedo na" (似合ってたと思うけどな)
|August 15, 2014|
|Naoto and the other K4 members head to Karuizawa for Advanced Railway Security Force Training. Naoto is excited to hear that they'll have a course on operating an EF63 electric locomotive. Aoi accompanies him in shooting lessons and strength training, saying she doesn't want him to slow her down as they'll be working in railway security together, but Naoto tells her he's aiming to be a driver instead, leading to an argument.|
"Watashi ga todokemasu" (わたしが届けます)
|August 22, 2014|
|Misunderstandings further threaten the harmony among the K4 members. Even the weather is on a rampage, causing a landslide near Karuizawa. Meanwhile, an employee of the Japanese Organs Transit System tells station attendants that she must get an organ to the hospital in Maebashi as quickly as possible for a transplant operation, but both railways and roads are closed due to the heavy rains|
|August 29, 2014|
|Naoto and K4 head toward Yokokawa as the rain plummets down. Haruka says the track from Usui Bridge No. 3 to Yokokawa should be safe since it's regularly maintained for the opening of the Usui Abt Railway, but the downgrade is steep, they can't slow down, and the narrow tunnels make it difficult to handle curves... They're in a serious pinch when Iwaizumi takes action!|
|10||"Could it be Our Little Secret?"
"Himitsu ni shite kureru" (ヒミツにしてくれる?)
|September 5, 2014|
|Prince Bernina of the small Mediterranean kingdom of Atella has arrived in Japan to attend a sister city ceremony in Sapporo, and the K4 members are appointed to guard and guide him on his way there. Naoto and the others are about to board the Hokutosei 3 at Ueno Station when Aoi contacts Naoto and tells him she's pursuing a suspicious man who was watching the platform|
|11||"I'll Go With You"
"Tsukiatte ageruwa yo" (つきあってあげるわよ)
|September 12, 2014|
|Naoto and the others managed to fight off their attackers on the Hokutosei, but while on the run, Naoto and Bernina find themselves under attack again. This time it's Aoi who comes to the rescue after catching up with them in Sendai via the Tohoku Shinkansen. Just as he breathes a sigh of relief, Naoto's phone rings...|
"Minna matteru yo" (みんな待ってるよ)
|September 19, 2014|
|After seeing the others back to Tokyo while they cleaned up the aftermath of the Hokutosei incident, Naoto and Iida wait at Aomori Station. The engine that will pull their train to Tokyo is the KiHa 381, equipped with a pendulum-style, diesel-fueled gas turbine engine. Shortly after they depart, Naoto hears a strange sound and can't shake the feeling that something isn't right.|
- "Rail Wars! Action Light Novels Get Anime". Anime News Network. December 24, 2013. Retrieved August 15, 2014.
- "RAIL WARS! -日本國有鉄道公安隊-" (in Japanese). Sohgeisha. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- "RAIL WARS! 8 -日本國有鉄道公安隊-" (in Japanese). Sohgeisha. Retrieved February 26, 2014.
- "RAIL WARS! 2 -日本國有鉄道公安隊-" (in Japanese). Sohgeisha. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- "RAIL WARS! 3 -日本國有鉄道公安隊-" (in Japanese). Sohgeisha. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- "RAIL WARS! 4 -日本國有鉄道公安隊-" (in Japanese). Sohgeisha. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- "RAIL WARS! 5 -日本國有鉄道公安隊-" (in Japanese). Sohgeisha. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- "RAIL WARS! 6 -日本國有鉄道公安隊-" (in Japanese). Sohgeisha. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- "RAIL WARS! 7 -日本國有鉄道公安隊-" (in Japanese). Sohgeisha. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- "RAIL WARS! 9 -日本國有鉄道公安隊-" (in Japanese). Sohgeisha. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- "RAIL WARS! -日本國有鉄道公安隊-The Revolver 1" [Rail Wars! Nihon Kokuyū Tetsudō Kōantai The Revolver 1] (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- "RAIL WARS! 公式ホームページ｜TBSテレビ". Tokyo Broadcasting System. Retrieved 2014-07-31.
- "Sentai Filmworks Licenses Chaika - The Coffin Princess, 7 Summer Titles". Anime News Network. 2014-07-04.
- "Rail Wars!". Media Arts Database (in Japanese). Japan: Agency for Cultural Affairs. Retrieved December 21, 2015.
- 2014-07-08, 【先出し週刊ファミ通】アニメも放送中の『RAIL WARS!（レール ウォーズ）』がPS Vitaでゲーム化, Famitsu
- 2014-07-08, 5pb.’s Rail Wars game is for PS Vita, Gematsu
- "Mages Cancels Rail Wars PS Vita Game". Anime News Network. 2016-01-28. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- "RAIL WARS! ゲーム公式サイト" (in Japanese). 5pb. Retrieved 2016-01-28.