Railcar mover

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from Rail car mover)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

A railcar mover is a road–rail vehicle (capable of travelling on both roads and rail tracks) fitted with couplers for moving small numbers of railroad cars around in a rail siding or small yard. They are extensively used by railroad customers because they are cheaper than owning a switcher locomotive, more convenient and cheaper than paying the railroad operator to do the switching, easier and more productive than manual moving of cars, and in addition they are more versatile since they can travel on road wheels to the cars they need to move, instead of needing clear track.

Unimog 405/UGN road–rail vehicle used as a rail car mover
Shuttlewagon Railcar Mover NVX-8040
TrackMobile Titan
A Volvo L70F loader fitted with Aries Hyrail road–rail vehicle conversion and train braking system
Unilok E55s of Lesico company. Jerusalem-Tel Aviv Railway


Numerous manufacturers produce railcar movers, in multiple countries.

North America[edit]

North American brands include Nordco Shuttlewagon, BOSS Railcar Movers, Trackmobile, and Rail King.

TuVM Stade, Whiting Trackmobile


An Ireland brand is Unilokomotive.


German brands include Unimog, Zwiehoff, UMEL and Zweiweg.


Italian brands are Colmar and Zephir.


A Belgian brand is UCA.

BOSS Railcar Movers