Rail transport in Cameroon
|Railways in Cameroon|
There are plans for an iron ore railway, which however might be isolated from existing railways. The distance from the mine to the nearest likely port is about 500 km as the crow flies. A connection to the nearest Camrail line at Mbalmayo on the Nyong River would be 350 km long. Because of the heavy tonnages to be carried, this railway is likely to be 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) (standard gauge). The railway would run from mines near Mbalam to a port near Lolabe. The expected traffic is 35 million tonnes per year for 25 years.
There are no links yet to railways in adjoining countries. The nearest the Nigerian railway system (3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm)) approaches Cameroon is Maiduguri over 100 km from the northern Cameroon border. The Gabon rail system (1435mm standard gauge) and Congolese rail systems 3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm) gauge do not run near to the Cameroonian border.
In 2011 funding for construction of a standard gauge railway line in Chad was obtained; the construction would include a line to Moundou and Koutéré near the Cameroon border, as well as a link to Nyala on the border with Sudan.
|Type||Built||Manufacturer||Number||In service||Fleet numbers||Notes|
|ZE 501 - 505||1976||Alstom||5||Yes||501 - 505||Former series 9600 obtained from CP in 2005|
|BB 1000||1978||Moyse||Yes||Only 1039 in service in 2012 in Douala|
|BB 1101 - 1120||1981||Alstom||20||Yes||1101 - 1120|||
|BB 1201 - 1213||1968||Alstom||20||Yes||1201 - 1213||3 remained in 2012|
|CC 2201 - 2230||1980||MLW/Bombardier||30||Yes||2201 - 2230|||
|CC 2601 - 2606||1975||GM-EMD||6||Yes||2601 - 2606||Series 34-800 obtained from Spoornet, South Africa|
|CC 35.2||1974||GM-EMD||6||No||Series 35-200 leased 2000-2003 from Spoornet, South Africa|
|CC 3301||2009||NREC||2||Yes||3301 - 3302||Freight locomotives|
- Charlier, Florence; N'cho-Oguie, Charles (2009). Sustaining reforms for inclusive growth in Cameroon: a development policy review. World Bank Publications. p. 154. ISBN 978-0-8213-7403-0. Retrieved 15 July 2010.
- "Railway Gazette: Mbalam ore railway scoping study agreed". 2010-12-11. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- Swanepoel, Esmarie. "Sundance signs rail deal with Chinese firm for Mbalam project".
- George Mbella (23 September 2010), "Wood Industry - Request for Railway in Yokadouma and Maroua", allafrica.com
- Beddington, Claude (1 January 1938). "We Sailed from Brixham". P. Davies – via Google Books.
- "SOUTH KOREAN PLAN FOR CAMEROON". Railways Africa. 2010-12-12. Retrieved 2010-12-12.
- "Work to begin on Chad rail network", www.railwaygazette.com, Railway Gazette International, 13 January 2012
- "Camrail, Cameroon, 2012".
- "CAMEROON: SUPPLY OF LOCOMOTIVE PARTS. IRAN: INVITATION TO TENDER FOR RAIL LINES. TURKEY: SUPPLY OF ELECTRIC LOCOMOTIVE".
Media related to Rail transport in Cameroon at Wikimedia Commons