Rail transport in Ukraine
|Ukraine Rail Network|
|National railway||Ukrzaliznytsia (Ukr Railways)|
|Ridership||53.7 million (2014, Ukrzaliznytsia only)|
|Freight||443.222 mln tonne (2013, Ukrzaliznytsia only)|
|Total||21,640.4 kilometres (13,446.7 mi)|
|Electrified||9,878 kilometres (6,138 mi)|
|Main||1,520 mm (4 ft 11 27⁄32 in)|
- 1 General scope
- 2 History
- 3 Infrastructure
- 4 Rolling stock
- 5 Other rail transport in Ukraine
- 6 References
It consists of several components.
- Network of railways (and infrastructure e.g bridges, electrification, stations, etc.)
- Railway service providers
- Rolling stock manufacturers and repairers
The company in charge of non-mass transit railways is Ukrainian Railways which since 2015 has changed its form of ownership from state company to public.
Before Ukrainian Independence
Railways in Ukraine were built under the imperial rule of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (in the western territories), and later in the Russian Empire-controlled territories, having seen major development and reformation since. For more information, see:
- History of Ukraine
- Imperial Royal Austrian State Railways
- Hungarian State Railways (For Zakarpattia region)
- History of rail transport in Russia
- History of rail transport in Poland
- Czechoslovak State Railways
- Romanian State Railways
- Rail transport in the Soviet Union
On 24 September 1991, following the resolution of the Verkhovna Rada (Ukraine's parliament) on separation from the Soviet Union, all railway administration was temporarily passed to the South-Western Railways. According to the resolution, all assets located within the borders of the former Ukrainian SSR became property of Ukraine. To improve efficiency a special centralised administration was created. On 14 December 1991 the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine issued declaration No. 356 "In creation of the State Administration of Railway Transport in Ukraine" which proclaimed Ukrzaliznytsia a government body administering railway transport in place of the previous six state railway companies.
The total length of railway network is 21,640.4 kilometres (13,446.7 mi). The length of electrified track is 9,878 kilometres (6,138 mi). There are 1,447 railway stations that have 118 various station buildings. There are 2,268 various smaller stops. The infrastructure also contains 5,422 rail crossings (level crossing), 4,168 of which have automatic signalling system. At the same time 1,497 rail crossings are manned 1,468 out of those equipped with automatic signalling system (grade crossing signals).
- Diesel locomotives 2,447
- Electric locomotives 1,547
- Freight carriages 111,100
- Passenger carriages 5,291
Rail stock manufacturers and repair
- Luhanskteplovoz, former producer of locomotives (in 2007-2016 belonged to Russian Transmashholding)
- Malyshev Factory, former producer of locomotives as Kharkiv Steam-locomotive Factory
- Dnieper Electrical Locomotive Works, producer of electrical locomotives
- Kryukiv Railcar Works, primary producer of small locomotives and rolling stock
- Stakhanov Railway Car Building Works, passenger rolling stock manufacturer
- DniproVahonMash (Dnieper Railcar Works), freight rolling stock manufacturer
- Darnytsia Railway Carriage Repair
- Dnipro Railway Carriage Repair
- Zhmerynka Railway Carriage Repair
- Kharkiv Railway Carriage Repair
- Konotop Railway Carriage Repair
- Kiev Electric Railway Carriage Repair
- Dnipro Diesel Locomotive Repair
- Poltava Diesel Locomotive Repair
- Haivoron Diesel Locomotive Repair
- Izyum Diesel Locomotive Repair
- Ivano-Frankivsk Locomotive Repair
- Lviv Locomotive Repair
- Zaporizhia Electric Locomotive Repair
Rolling stock research
Other rail transport in Ukraine
Rail transport used for mass transit is usually administered by local government, typically city authorities; this includes trams, subway (metro), funicular, others.
In mountain regions a narrow gauge railway systems are sometimes privately owned.
- "Statistical data on Ukrainian Railways (Статистичні дані про Українські залізниці)". Archived from the original on 2017-02-04.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Ukraine profile, BBC News
- "КАБІНЕТ МІНІСТРІВ УКРАЇНИ П О С Т А Н О В А від 14 грудня 1991 р. N 356". Законодавство України. 30 July 1993.
- Ukrzaliznytsia officially becomes joint-stock company, UNIAN (21 October 2015)
- Official website. Ukrainian Research Institute of Railcar Construction.