Railroad Revival Tour
The Railroad Revival Tour was an annual music tour that featured popular roots, folk, country, rock, bluegrass and Americana acts that began in 2011.
The musicians travel between shows across the American Southwest in a dozen or so vintage train cars from the 1950s and 1960s. The outdoor concert locations, sometimes attracting over 10,000 fans, are often a stone's throw from the train. The bands eat, sleep and engage in impromptu jam sessions on the train between stops, giving them a chance to collaborate. On stage at night, they often join in on each other's sets, sometimes bringing around 30 musicians up to create a rare and rowdy performance. The organic American roots feeling of the tour also prompts participating musicians to honor U.S. railway history, like Mumford & Sons' tribute to Woody Guthrie in 2011.
The inaugural tour in 2011 included performances by Mumford & Sons, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, and Old Crow Medicine Show. A documentary of this first year, called Big Easy Express, directed by Emmett Malloy premiered at SXSW 2012 and won a Grammy Award in 2013. The film is currently available on iTunes and DVD/Blu-ray Disc.
In 2011, Railroad Revival Tour bands Mumford & Sons, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, and Old Crow Medicine Show together closed their shows at every stop with "This Train."
Railroad Revival Tour 2011
The tour included performances by Mumford & Sons, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, and Old Crow Medicine Show.
|April 21, 2011||Oakland||United States||Middle Harbor Shoreline Park|
|April 22, 2011||Los Angeles||Ports O' Call|
|April 23, 2011||Tempe||Vacant lot
Originally scheduled for the Arizona Railway Museum in Chandler.
|April 24, 2011||Marfa||El Cosmico|
|April 26, 2011||Austin||4th and Waller Street|
|April 27, 2011||New Orleans||Woldenberg Park|
- "Mumford & Sons, Edward Sharpe, Old Crow Medicine Show Plot Railroad Revival Tour". American Songwriter. 2011-03-07. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Senft, Michael (2011-04-24). "The Railroad Revival Tour with Mumford & Sons rocks Tempe". Azcentral.com. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Patrick Doyle (2011-03-10). "Mumford Sons Reveal What to Expect from Railroad Revival Tour | Music News". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Jenny Eliscu (2011-04-26). "Mumford Sons Play High-Spirited Show in Marfa, Texas | Music News". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Bierly, Mandi. "Mumford & Sons to launch Railroad Revival Tour this April | The Music Mix | EW.com". Music-mix.ew.com. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Justin Cox: Mumford & Sons Hit the Railroad, a Revival Ensues". Huffingtonpost.com. 2011-04-28. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Dan Hyman (2012-06-25). "'Big Easy Express' Captures Mumford Sons, Edward Sharpe on Railroad Revival Tour | Music News". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Willie Nelson on board for Railroad Revival Tour". Usatoday.com. 2012-07-24. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Railroad Revival Tour With Willie Nelson, Band of Horses Canceled". Rolling Stone. 2012-10-05. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- "Mumford, E. Sharpe, Old Crow: Railroad Revival Tour 2011 on JamBase". Ftp.jambase.com. Retrieved 2012-08-13.