Rail Budget of India is the Annual Financial Statement of the state-owned Indian Railways, which handles rail transport in India. It was presented every year by the Minister of Railways, representing the Ministry of Railways, in the Parliament.
The Railway Budget was presented every year, a few days before the Union budget of India, till 2016. The Government on 21 September 2016 approved merger of the Rail and General budgets from next year, ending a 92-year-old practice of a separate budget for the nation’s largest transporter.
Following the recommendation of the Acworth Committee in 1920-21, headed by British railway economist William Acworth The "Acworth Report" led to reorganisation of railways, the railway finances were separated from the general government finances in 1921. After that in 1924 the budget was announced, a practice that continued till 2016.
The first live telecast took place on 24 March 1994.
In the year 2000, Mamata Banerjee (later Chief Minister of West Bengal) became the first female Railway Minister. In 2002, she became the first female to present the Railway budget and is the only woman to do so for two different governing coalitions (NDA and UPA).
- "No. 32188". The London Gazette (Supplement). 11 January 1921. p. 278.
- Powell Anstey, Vera (1952). The Economic Development of India. Ayer Publishing. pp. 136–137.
- Headrick, Daniel R (1988). The tentacles of progress: technology transfer in the age of imperialism, 1850-1940. Oxford University Press. p. 80. ISBN 9780195051162.
- Debroy, Bibek (6 March 2012). "Railway Budget 2012: Best time to raise fares is now". The Economic Times. Retrieved 19 March 2012.
- "Lalu announces some more trains". The Hindu. 20 February 2009. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Gowda's announces first bullet train between Mumbai-Ahmedabad". Patrika Group. 8 July 2014. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "After 92 years, Rail Budget is history". Business Standard. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- Railway Budget Speech 2010 Press Information Bureau, Govt. of India.
- Railway Budget, 2012-13 Press Information Bureau
- Railway Budget, 2013-14 Press Information Bureau