Railway stations in Ghana
The railway stations in Ghana serve a rail network concentrated in the south of the country.
- 1 Maps
- 2 Towns served by rail
- 3 Timeline
- 4 Standards
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Towns served by rail
The following towns or villages currently have or had rail service in Ghana; 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in) gauge unless otherwise noted :
- Accra - (E) - port, capital city
- Asoprochona - suburban terminus
- Koforidua (E)
- Pokoasi - (E/C) - junction
- Shai Hills - (E)
- Tema - (E) - port in east - proposed suburban terminus 2008 
- Nsawam - (E)
- Koforidua (E)
- Nkawkaw - (E)
- Ejisu - (E)
- Juaso (C)
- Konongo, Ghana (E)
- Boankra (E) - inland port
- Kumasi (E/W) - junction
- Sekondi - (W) - older port and workshops
- Tarkwa - (W) - junction
- Takoradi - (W) - newer port
- Huni Valley - (W/C) - junction on west line for cross country line to east line; concrete sleeper plant
- Dunkwa - (W) - Junction for Awaso
- Obuasi - (W)
- Bekwai - (W)
- Kumasi - (W/E) junction
- Huni Valley - (W/C) - junction
- Twifu Praso
- Foso (C)
- Achissi - (C) - junction
- Akoroso (C)
- Kotoku - (E/C) - junction
- 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) gauge
- Lomé -
- - border
- Aflao - Diamond Cement Ghana Limited factory at Aflao to the Lomé Port is expected to be completed in early 2014.
This list includes regauged stations.
Far Northern Line
- Takoradi - port - break of gauge 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)/1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)
- Tarkwa - junction for northwest
- Huni Valley
- Hamile - northwest terminus - 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)
- Burkina Faso
ECOWAS Coastal Line
- (proposed 2010) 
- Aflao - near border in east with Togo, and capital Lomé.
- Accra - national capital
- Cape Coast
- Omanpe - near border in west with Ivory Coast.
(far eastern line)
- Tamale - junction
- Paga - near Burkina Faso
- Shieni - iron ore
- Tema - large port to east of Accra 
- Winneba - wast of Accra on coast.
Lake Volta branch to east:
- Achimota (E) - junction
- Tema (E) - major port 
- Sugbaniate (E)
- Shai Hills (E)
- Akosombo (E) - inland lake port
- Kumasi, Boankra inland port, Kumasi-Paga through Buipe, to connect the Volta lake, Achimota-Tema port, Tamale-Yendi to connect Shieni (227m) iron deposit, Bosusi-Kibi to connect the bauxite deposit at Kibi and branch lines linking the towns where other mineral deposits have been identified.
- Takoradi through Manso, Tarkwa, Huni Valley, Dunkwa Awaso, Nyinahin, Sunyani, Techiman, Bole, Sawla, Wa through to Hamile in the Upper West Region of Ghana.
- Ghana Railway Development Authority has invited bids to convert the 950 km rail network from 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in) narrow gauge to standard gauge, permitting 25 tonne axleloads and increasing speeds from 56 to 160 km/h. In the longer term, feasibility studies will look at introducing a suburban rail service from Accra to Kasoa, Winneba and Madina, as well as extending the railway to the north and connecting with the proposed Ecowas rail line across West Africa.
- Ghana proposes part of the ECOWAS Coastal Railway linking Aflao-Tema-Accra, Winneba, Cape Coast, Takoradi and Omape.
- The Government of Ghana and the China National Machinery Import and Export Corporation (CMC) has signed a US $6.050 billion contract agreement for the construction of a railway infrastructure from Nsawam near Accra via Kumasi to Paga on the Burkina Faso border, and a branch from same at Tamale to Yendi.
- Ghana Railway Development Authority invites bids to convert the 950 km network to standard gauge 
- Ghana plans major rail rehabilitation 
- Couplings : AAR
- Brakes : Air
- Rail transport in Ghana
- Transport in Ghana
- Ghana Railway Corporation
- List of countries by rail transport network size
- Railway stations in Togo
- ECOWAS rail
- A Tema Port (E) proposed. ghanacedi.gov.gh.
- Cement siding opened.
- Railway Gazette International June 2008 p354 (Map)
- Canada supports Ghana-Burkina Faso railway project. modernghana.com.
- Ghana proposed ECOWAS coastal line. railwaysafrica.com. December 2010.
- Ghana to Receive Loan from China Exim Bank. railway-technology.com. 28 September 2010.
- 가나 아크라~테마 노선 강화 사업 구상[permanent dead link]
- Ghana Invests in Railway Upgrade. railway-technology.com. 21 October 2010.
- The Baatsonaa & Nungua bridge completed. modernghana.com.
- The transformation of Ghana's rail. thestatesmanonline.com. 15 August 2007.
- Railway Gazette International October 2009 p11
- Ghana Plans Major Rail Construction. railway-technology.com. 26 August 2009.