This BLP needs additional citations for verification. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Raimo Heikki Tuomela (born October 9, 1940 in Helsinki, Finland) is a Finnish philosopher. Tuomela received his first degree of doctor of philosophy in 1968 from the University of Helsinki and the second one in 1969 from Stanford University. Tuomela was full professor of philosophy (especially methodology and philosophy of the social sciences) at the Department of Philosophy, University of Helsinki in 1971–2008.
Tuomela has received several grants and awards, including the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation Research Award (Forschungspreis), awarded in recognition of achievements in research, and the honour prize of Finnish Academy of Science and Letters.
During the five-year period 1995–2000, Tuomela was Academy Professor at the Academy of Finland. This research professorship also included a research group working within the general field of the philosophy of social action.
Books in English
- Theoretical Concepts. Library of Exact Philosophy 10, Springer-Verlag, Wien and New York, 1973, 254 pp.
- Theoretical Concepts and Hypothetico-Inductive Inference (together with Ilkka Niiniluoto). Synthese Library, D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht and Boston, 1973, 262 pp.
- Human Action and Its Explanation: A Study on the Philosophical Foundations of Psychology. Synthese Library, D. Reidel Publishing Co., Dordrecht and Boston, 1977, 426 pp.
- A Theory of Social Action. D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht, Boston, and Lancaster, 1984, 534 pp.
- Science, Action, and Reality. D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht, Boston, and Lancaster, 1985, 274 pp.
- The Importance of Us: A Philosophical Study of Basic Social Notions. Stanford Series in Philosophy, Stanford University Press, Stanford, Calif., 1995, 470 pp.
- Cooperation: A Philosophical Study, Philosophical Studies Series, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2000, 431 pp.
- The Philosophy of Social Practices: A Collective Acceptance View, Cambridge University Press, 2002, 274 pp.
- The Philosophy of Sociality, Oxford University Press, 2007, 318 pp.
- Social Ontology: Collective Intentionality and Group Agents, 2013, New York: Oxford University Press.
Books in Finnish
- Tiede, toiminta ja todellisuus. Tieteellisen maailmankäsityksen filosofiset perusteet, Gaudeamus, Jyväskylä, 1983.
- "Raimo Tuomela". www.helsinki.fi. University of Helsinki. Retrieved 2017-02-19.
- Pettersson, Tobias (14 May 2019). "Den blyga pojken från Helsingfors blev internationell kändisfilosof". Hufvudstadsbladet (in Swedish). pp. 8–9.