|Alternative names||Rainbow cake, Neapolitan cookies, seven layer cookies, Venetian cookies, seven layer cake, Italian flag cookies, tricolor cookies|
|Main ingredients||Sponge cake (flour, almond paste, butter, sugar, almond extract, egg yolks, egg whites), apricot or raspberry jam, chocolate|
Italian flag variation
A particular variety of this confection, known primarily by various regional names listed below, is with layers of brightly colored, almond-based sponge cake, apricot and/or raspberry jam, and a chocolate coating. Many bakeries sell them by the pound, and because of the many layers, these cookies tend to be somewhat heavy estimating in about fifteen to a pound.
This variety of the confection likely originated in Italian communities in the United States during the 1900s, in homage to the community's heritage. Although often called simply rainbow cookies in much of the continental United States, some local names for this specific variety are:
- Napoleon cookies
- Seven layer cake
- Seven layer cookies
- Tricolor cookies
- Venetian cookies
- "Pretty Rainbow Cookie Favors – The Sweet Adventures of Sugar Belle". Sweetsugarbelle.com. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "Oreo shows gay pride with a rainbow cookie". Articles.baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- Guarino, Anne M. Growing Up Italian: A Book of Recipes and Memories : Annie's Cookbook. New York: iUniverse, Inc, 2005. pg. 44
- Yard, Sherry, and Martha Rose Shulman. Desserts by the Yard: From Brooklyn to Beverly Hills : Recipes from the Sweetest Life Ever. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2007. pg.15
- Gooseberry Patch (Firm). Old-Fashioned Country Cookies: Yummy Recipes, Tips, Traditions, How-To's & Sweet Memories--Everything Cookies! Delaware, OH: Gooseberry Patch, 1994. pg. 26.
- "Rainbow Cookies An Italian Fave"Miami Herald, May 10, 2007
- "ABC News "Good Morning America Recipes: Rainbow Cookies"". Abcnews.go.com. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "Cooking Forum New Message: Message 227: Re: napoleon italian cookies-I HAVE IT!!!". Web.archive.org. 19 October 2004. Archived from the original on 19 October 2004. Retrieved 23 January 2018.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Chowhound (21 February 2007). "Multi-colored cookies: Do they have a name? - General Discussion - Cookies". Chowhound.chow.com. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "Seven-Layer Cookies". Epicurious.com. 1 December 2005. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-04-25. Retrieved 2009-04-11.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Venetian Cookies". Goodhousekeeping.com. 25 June 2007. Retrieved 23 January 2018.