Rainham (Kent) railway station
|Local authority||Borough of Medway|
|Number of platforms||3|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|25 Jan 1858||Opened as
Rainham and Newington
|1 Aug 1862||Renamed Rainham|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Rainham (Kent) from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
Rainham railway station is on the Chatham Main Line in north Kent, between Gillingham and Newington. Train services are provided by Southeastern. In official literature it is shown as Rainham (Kent) in order to distinguish it from the station of the same name in Greater London.
Rainham station is 38 miles and 1694 yards from London Victoria, according to the mileage sign on the footbridge.
Ticket barriers are in operation, but there is a gate on the eastbound platform that is sometimes open.
The station currently has three platforms.
Typical off-peak services are:
- 2tph to London St Pancras via Chatham and Ebbsfleet International
- 3tph to London Victoria via Chatham and Bromley South (1ph calling at Denmark Hill)
- 1tph to Sittingbourne and Faversham only
- 2tph to Dover Priory via Canterbury East
- 2tph to Ramsgate via Margate
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Chatham Main Line
High Speed 1
As part of the rebuild of Rochester Station, a new Up Bay Platform has been added.
Trains are now able to use this new platform as the East Kent Resignalling Project has been completed. At present, only a couple of trains use it in the evening rush hour.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- "Planning permission for new Rochester station". Southeastern Railway. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Network Rail unveils plans for new railway station in Rochester, UK". Retrieved 30 January 2014.
Media related to Rainham (Kent) railway station at Wikimedia Commons
|This article on a railway station in Kent is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|