|District of Madhya Pradesh|
Location of Raisen district in Madhya Pradesh
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||Hoshangabad|
|• Total||8,395 km2 (3,241 sq mi)|
|• Density||160/km2 (410/sq mi)|
|• Literacy||74.26 per cent|
|• Sex ratio||899|
Raisen District takes its name from Raisen town, which is named after a fort. This fort is built on a sandstone hill, at the foot of which settles the town. The name is probably a corruption of Rajavasini or Rajasayan, the royal residence.
Raisen district is situated between the latitude 22 47' and 23 33' north and the longitude 7721' and 78 49' east. Sehore district lies in west, Vidisha district in the north, Sagar district in the east and south-east, Narsimhapur district in the south-east, Hoshangabad and Sehore districts in the south. It covers an area of 8,395 square kilometres (3,241 sq mi).
The territory of the present-day Raisen district was once part of the Nizamat-A-Mashrif district of the Bhopal princely state. After the Bhopal State of independent India came into being, Raisen was declared a separate district on 5 May 1950.
According to the 2011 census Raisen District has a population of 1,331,699, roughly equal to the nation of Mauritius or the US state of Maine. This gives it a ranking of 365th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 157 inhabitants per square kilometre (410/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 18.36%. Raisen has a sex ratio of 899 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 74.26%.
Raisen District has many tourism places like Sanchi:- World heritage, 46 km from Bhopal and 8 km from Vidisha, Bhojpur:- The Bjojpur temple houses the largest Shiva lingam in India, which is 5.5 m (18 ft) tall and 2.3 m (7.5 ft) in circumference and is crafted out a single rock.
- "Raisen". Raisen district administration. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "District Census Handbook - Raisen" (PDF). 2011 Census of India. Directorate of Census Operations, Madhya Pradesh. Retrieved 2015-07-21.
- "An Historical and Artistic Description of Sanchi (1918)". Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "Rock Shelters of bhimbhetka". UNESCO. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Mauritius 1,303,717 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Raisen district.|
||Vidisha district||Sagar district|
|Sehore district||Hoshangabad district||Narsimhapur district|
|This article related to a location in Madhya Pradesh is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|