Raisina Bengali Senior Secondary School
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Raisina Bengali School (founded 1925) is located at Mandir Marg (Central Delhi) New Delhi, India. It is an English medium school and follows CBSE curriculum. It began near Willingdon hospital, then moved to Mandir Marg, near Baird Lane, New Delhi (its present building).
The school offers education up to higher secondary level and has over 2500 students. Students come from all parts of Delhi. The school attracts students from the Bangladesh High Comnmission located in Delhi because of its focus on Bengali language and culture. Head of the school is Shri Dinabandhu Chakravarty.
Noted Academician Late Shri Ak Chakravartty was the Principal of the Raisina School, Mandir Marg from 1946 till 1970 . His tenure were the " golden years" for Raisina Bengali School as the school excelled both in Academics and Sports . He was awarded the National teachers award in 1970. Bengali language classes are compulsory up to VIII standard. Students can take Hindi, Bengali, or Sanskrit as an additional language from IX Standard. The school's primary medium of instruction is English.
The school offers Science/Commerce/Arts for stream selection at higher secondary level.
Many footballers from the school represented Delhi University colours in the 1960s and 1970s.
Educationist of Delhi, Shri S.K.Bhattacharya, who is associated with Bal Bharti School and its trust, is a former teacher of economics of this school.
Its primary block building was constructed in the mid-1960s, in the 1970s the "Dr. Meghnad Saha" science block was constructed. Later a stage and indoor sports facilities were added and the school acquired a proper playing field.
- The 1984 batch which formed the first registered body in association with the school management committee members and the principal Mr Amar Nath Banerjee.
- The Ex-students association was named "Raisina Bengali School Alumni Association". The 1984 batch were provided with a room on the school premises for Alumni Association day-to-day activity.
- The Associations first President was Sri. Nisith Kumar Das, Vice President Mr K D Gupto.
- The association is a registered body and organises cultural activities such as musical programs, Diamond Jubilee functions of the school, and picnics
- The school has a second registered alumni association -"Ex-Raisinian's Welfare Association".