|Based on||Raising Dion|
by Dennis Liu
|Written by||Carol Barbee|
|Country of origin||United States|
Raising Dion is an upcoming American science fiction television series based on a short film and comic book by Dennis Liu. Carol Barbee will write the first episode of the series, and will act as showrunner. The series will consist of ten episodes and will stream on Netflix.
Raising Dion follows "the story of a woman named Nicole Reese, who raises her son Dion after the death of her husband Mark. The normal dramas of raising a son as a single mom are amplified when Dion starts to manifest several magical, superhero-like abilities. Nicole must now keep her son’s gifts secret with the help of Mark’s best friend Pat, and protect Dion from antagonists out to exploit him while figuring out the origin of his abilities."
Cast and characters
- Alisha Wainwright as Nicole Reese
- Ja'Siah Young as Dion Reese, Nicole’s superpowered son
- Michael B. Jordan as Mark Reese, a scientist and Nicole's deceased husband.
- Jason Ritter as Pat, a scientist and Mark's best friend.
- Jazmyn Simon as Kat, Nicole's sister
On October 5, 2017, it was announced that Netflix had given the production a straight-to-series order for a first season consisting of ten episodes. The series is based on a comic book by commercial and music video director Dennis Liu who previously adapted his work into a short film. Liu directed the short film which was adapted by Carol Barbee. Executive producers for the series are set to include Liu, Barbee, Jason Piperberg, Michael B. Jordan, Charles D. King, Kim Roth, Poppy Hanks, Kenny Goodman, and Michael Green. Barbee is also expected to act as showrunner for the series. Production companies involved with the series include Outlier Society Productions and MACRO.
Alongside the initial announcement of the series order, it was confirmed that Michael B. Jordan had been cast in a supporting role in the series. In June 2018, it was announced that Jason Ritter, Jazmyn Simon, Alisha Wainwright, and Ja'Siah Young had been cast as a series regulars.
Principal photography for the series began in late-July 2018 in various cities and towns in Georgia including Chattahoochee Hills and Fairburn. Filming continued in the same areas in August 2018 and also took place in Midtown Atlanta at locations including the Fox Theatre.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 5, 2017). "Netflix Orders Black Superhero Family Drama 'Raising Dion' Co-Starring Michael B. Jordan From Charles D. King's MACRO". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- Littleton, Cynthia (October 6, 2017). "Netflix Gives Series Order to Michael B. Jordan's Sci-Fi Family Drama 'Raising Dion'". Variety. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- Denise, Petski (June 20, 2018). "'Raising Dion': Jason Ritter To Star In Netflix's Superhero Family Drama Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (June 26, 2018). "'Raising Dion': Jazmyn Simon Joins Netflix's Superhero Family Drama Series". Deadline. Retrieved June 26, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (June 27, 2018). "'Raising Dion': Alisha Wainwright & Newcomer Ja'Siah Young To Star; Seith Mann To Direct & Exec Produce". Deadline. Retrieved June 27, 2018.
- Walljasper, Matt (August 27, 2018). "What's filming in Atlanta now? Stranger Things, Raising Dion, Queen America, Superintelligence, plus unpacking the new FilmL.A. report". Atlanta. Retrieved August 30, 2018.