Nazrin Shah of Perak
|Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah|
|Duli Yang Maha Mulia Paduka Seri Sultan, Yang di-Pertuan dan Raja Pemerintah bagi Negeri Perak Darul Ridzuan Dan Segala Jajahan Takluk - Nya|
|Sultan of Perak|
|Reign||29 May 2014 – present|
|Installation||6 May 2015|
|Predecessor||D.Y.M.M Paduka Seri Tuanku Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah Al-Maghfur-Lah|
27 November 1956 |
George Town, Penang, Penang, Malaya
|Spouse||D.Y.M.M Raja Permaisuri Perak Tuanku Zara Salim (m. 2007)|
|Issue||Raja Azlan Muzzaffar Shah
Raja Nazira Safya
|House||Istana Iskandariah, Bukit Chandan, Kuala Kangsar, Perak|
|Father||D.Y.M.M Paduka Seri Tuanku Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah|
|Mother||D.Y.M.M Raja Permaisuri Perak Tuanku Bainun|
|Perak Royal Family|
HRH Sultan Dr. Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah, Sultan
HH Raja Jaafar bin Almarhum Raja Muda Musa, Raja Muda
HH Raja Iskandar Dzulkarnain, Raja Di-Hilir
HH Raja Ahmad Nazim Azlan Shah, Raja Kechil Sulong
Sultan Nazrin Shah was born on 27 November 1956 at George Town, Penang, Malaya. He is the eldest son of the late Sultan of Perak, Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah Ibni Almarhum Sultan Yussuf Izzuddin Shah Ghafarullahu-lah and the former Raja Permaisuri of Perak Tuanku Bainun Binti Mohd Ali.
Academic and Intellectual Background
Sekolah Rendah Jalan Kuantan, Kuala Lumpur from 1963 to 1967.
Sultan Nazrin has an academic and intellectual background from Malay College Kuala Kangsar and a BA degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics from Worcester College, Oxford. He also holds an MPA degree from John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, and a PhD degree in Political Economy and Government from Harvard University.
Sultan Nazrin’s research interests are in the area of economic and political development in South-East and North-East Asia, historical national income accounting and economic growth in developing countries.
The sultan has also written articles and spoken on a wide range of issues including the role of the constitutional monarchy in Malaysia, education, Islam, ethnic relations and economic development.
He has assumed the role of Financial Ambassador of the Malaysian International Islamic Financial Centre (MIFC), has been Pro-Chancellor of Universiti Malaya since 1989 and is the chairman of the Board of Governors of the Malay College Kuala Kangsar.
He is also an Eminent Fellow of the Institute of Strategic and International Studies (ISIS) Malaysia.
He was proclaimed the Raja Muda (Crown Prince) of Perak on 15 April 1984, taking over from his father, Sultan Azlan Shah, who had become the Sultan of Perak two weeks earlier. On 29 May 2014 he become the 35th Sultan of Perak on the death of his father, Sultan Azlan.
Sultan Nazrin's full name including official titles is Duli Yang Maha Mulia Paduka Seri Sultan Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah ibni Almarhum Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah Al-Maghfurlah, Sultan, Yang di-Pertuan Negara dan Raja Pemerintah Negeri Perak Darul Ridzuan dan Jajahan Takluknya, D.K.,D.K.S.A., D.K.A.,D.M.N., D.K. (Selangor), D.K. (Kelantan), S.P.C.M, S.P.T.S, S.P.M.P. (Perlis), Ph.D (Harvard), MPA (Harvard).
He was appointed Regent of Perak when his father became the ninth Yang di-Pertuan Agong from 1989 to 1994.
The day after the wedding there was a ceremony to bestow Tuanku Zara with the official title of Raja Puan Besar of Perak. Nazrin's father had proclaimed Zara Salim Davidson as the Raja Puan Besar of Perak and conferred the Darjah Kerabat on her.
The first child of the couple, Raja Azlan Muzzaffar Shah, was born on 14 March 2008, followed by Raja Nazira Safya Shah on 2 August 2011.
Children and Born
- Yang Amat Mulia Raja Azlan Muzzaffar Shah (born on 14 March 2008 (age 7 years)
- Yang Amat Mulia Raja Nazira Safya (born on 2 August 2011 (age 4 years)
Title and styles
- 27 November 1956 – 16 February 1984:Yang Mulia Raja Nazrin Shah ibni Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah
- 16 February 1984 – 15 April 1987: Yang Teramat Mulia Raja Kechil Besar Perak Darul Ridzuan Raja Nazrin Shah
- 15 April 1987 – 25 April 1989 : Duli Yang Teramat Mulia Raja Muda Perak Darul Ridzuan Raja Nazrin Shah
- 26 April 1989 – 25 April 1994: Duli Yang Maha Muila Pemangku Raja Perak Darul Ridzuan Raja Nazrin Shah
- 25 April 1994 – 27 January 2008: Duli Yang Teramat Mulia Raja Muda Perak Darul Ridzuan Raja Nazrin Shah
- 27 January 2008 – 29 May 2014: Duli Yang Maha Mulia Pemangku Raja Perak Darul Ridzuan Raja Dr. Nazrin Shah
- 29 May 2014 – present: Duli Yang Maha Mulia Sultan Perak Darul Ridzuan Sultan Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah
He has been awarded:
Honours of Perak
- Recipient of the Royal Family Order of Perak (DK )
- Superior Class of the Perak Family Order of Sultan Azlan Shah (DKSA, 18 April 2005) 
- Member First Class of the Azlanii Royal Family Order (DKA I) 
- Grand Knight of the Order of Cura Si Manja Kini (the Perak Sword of State, SPCM, 19 April 1986) with title Dato' Sri —current ribbon :
- Knight Grand Commander of the Order of Taming Sari (the Perak State Kris, SPTS, 19 April 1989) with title Dato' Sri
- Knight Grand Commander of the Order of the Perak State Crown (SPMP) with title Dato' Sri
Honours of Malaysia
- Perlis :
- Knight Grand Commander of the Order of the Crown of Perlis or Star of Safi (SPMP)
- Selangor :
- Second Class of the Royal Family Order of Selangor (DK II, 13 December 2003)
- Anbalagan, V. (29 May 2014) Raja Nazrin proclaimed as the 35th Sultan of Perak, The Malaysian Insider.
- Raja Nazrin proclaimed new Sultan of Perak, The Malay Mail. 30 May 2014
- Pelantikan Sultan Perak ke-35. therakyatpost.com. 29 May 2014
- The Royal Ark, Perak, p.16
- The Admire Hunkz, Photo of Crown Prince wearing DKSA
- Radin Blog, Royal Family of Perak, Photo of Crown Prince and Family wearing DKA I
- Blog, Photo of Prince Nazrin (third from the left) wearing former SPCM ribbon
- Official Webpage of the Office of the Sultan of Perak
- Raja Nazrin Politely Declines State Allocation Bernama, 12 May 2007.
- Raja Nazrin's Long-time Friend First To Arrive For Royal Wedding Bernama, 13 May 2007.
- The Day Raja Nazrin Was Best Man Bernama, 14 May 2007.
- Raja Muda Perak And Zara Tie The Knot Bernama, 17 May 2007.
- Full text of speech by Raja Muda of Perak, Raja Nazrin Shah, at the Diversity Matters Forum on Diasporas in the Commonwealth at Monash University, Sunway Campus on Nov 19, 2008 TheSun, 19 November 2008.
Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah ibni Almarhum Sultan Yussuf Izzuddin Shah Ghafarullahu-lah
|Sultan of Perak
2014 – present