|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Serves||Rajahmundry, East Godavari|
|Location||Madhurapudi, Andhra Pradesh, India|
|Elevation AMSL||151 ft / 46 m|
|Statistics (April 2017 - March 2018)|
Rajahmundry Airport (IATA: RJA, ICAO: VORY) is located at Madhurapudi, 18 kilometres (11 mi) north of Rajahmundry in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India. It is located on National Highway 516E. During 1985–1994, it was used by Vayudoot. The Helicopters of ONGC was also used for offshore oil exploration operations and other government agencies.
The airport was constructed during the British era and is spread over an area of 366 acres (148 ha). It was served by Vayudoot between 1985 and 1994 and by VIF Airways in 1995. The Andhra Pradesh government signed an MoU worth ₹23 crore (US$3.2 million) with the Airports Authority of India (AAI) in February 2007 for modernising the airport. Works on the new terminal building to accommodate 150 passengers and a control tower were completed in 2011 at a cost of ₹38 crore (US$5.3 million). The terminal was inaugurated on 16 May 2012. Limited by runway length, airlines operate smaller 70 seat turbo-prop aircraft like the ATR-72 and the Q-400. The AAI has extended the existing runway from 1,749 metres (5,738 ft) to 3,165 metres (10,384 ft) to enable landing of aircraft like the Airbus A320, Airbus A321 and it was inaugurated by Civil Aviation Minister Suresh Prabhu on 12th February 2019. Approximately, 800 acres have been acquired for this expansion.
Airlines and destinations
|IndiGo||Bengaluru, Chennai, Madurai, Hyderabad|||
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2018: Annexure-III" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. 1 May 2018. p. 3. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2018: Annexure-II" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. 1 May 2018. p. 3. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2018: Annexure-IV" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. 1 May 2018. p. 3. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Archive News - The Hindu". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 30 June 2012. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
- "VIF Airways Profile". India Infoline. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Night landing facility soon at Rajahmundry". The Hindu. 29 May 2008. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Rajahmundry airport terminal becomes operational". The Hindu Business Line. 17 May 2012. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- "Expanded Rajahmundry airport runway inaugurated by Suresh Prabhu". New Indian Express. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- "IndiGo flight schedules". goindigo.in. Retrieved 2019-02-02.
- "TruJet flight schedules". trujet.com. Retrieved 2019-02-02.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rajahmundry Airport.|
- Rajahmundry Airport at the Airports Authority of India
|This article about an airport in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|