This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Rajnikant Shankarrao Arole was born in Supa in the Ahmednagar district of Maharashtra State, India, on 10 July 1934, the second child of Shankar and Leelawati Salve Arole. His parents were both schoolteachers and his father became Inspector of Schools. The Aroles raised their three sons and four daughters in the faith of the Church of England, inculcating in them Christian ethical and spiritual values that have guided Rajnikant through a lifetime of public service.
He died on 25 May 2011 in Pune.
- 1960–1962 : Resident : ETCM Hospital, Kolar Karnataka, India
- 1965–1970 : USA : Fulbright Scholar
- 1962–1966 : Medical Suptd. : FJFM Hospital, Vadala Mission District Ahmednagar, India
- 1966–1969 : Residency Lutheran Hospital Cleveland, Ohio, USA
- 1970–present Director : Comprehensive Rural Health Project, Jamkhed District Ahmednagar, India
- 1989 – onwards : Associate Professor (visiting) : Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
- 1990 – onwards : Director : Institute of Training and Research In Community Health & Population Jamkhed
Awards & Honorus
- 1966 : Paul Harrison Award for outstanding work in Rural areas
- 1979 : Ramon Magsaysay Award for Community Leadership
- 1985 : Ph. D. for Public service, Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, PA USA
- 1987 : N.D. Diwan Memorial Award-Rehabilitation of the handicapped persons.
- 1988 : NCIH Award for service in International health
- 1990 : Padma Bhushan National Award for Social Service
- 2001 : R. B. Hiwargaonkar Award 2000 for rural health service using Grassroots workers as Change Agents.
- 2003 : Diwaliben Mehta Award for Tribal Work
- 2004 : Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Dalit Mitra Award for work among backward classes.
- 2005 : Mother Teresa Memorial National Award for Social Justice
- 1980–1990 : All India Marathi Science Congress, Pune
- 1978 : Voluntary Health Association of India, New Delhi, Chairman
- 2007 : Maharashtra State Monitory Committee for Malnutrition, Deaths in children
- 1992 : Organizing Committee for 6th Asian Congress for Agricultural Medicine And Rural Health
- 1976 : Emmanuel Hospital Association of India, New Delhi, Member
- 2007 : Central Council for Health and Family Welfare (Government of India)
- 2005 : Empowered Committee, National Rural Health Mission (NRHM), Government of India
- 2000 : National Commission on Population; India Chaired by Prime Minister
- 1991 : Senate, Poona University, Poona
- 1989 : Planning Board Yeswantrao Chavan open University, Nasik, Maharashtra, India
- 1988 : Central Council of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India, New Delhi (Chairman - Hon. Union Health Minister)
- 1988 : Standing Committee of the Central Council of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. Of India, New Delhi.
- 1988 : Steering Committee Health and FamiIndia, Technology Mission on water, Literacy Immunization, etc.
- 1988 : Maharashtra State Planning Board Govt. of Maharashtra.
- 1987–1990 : High Power Committee on Vocationalization of Education Govt. of Maharashtra.
- 1988 : District Planning and Development Committee, Ahmednagar District
- 1985–1993 : Executive Committee Maharashtra Institute for Development Administration
- 1985 : Task Force on Nutrition, Govt. of India 1983 National Population Advisory Council Govt. of India, New Delhi.
- 1983 : Faculty of Medicine, Senate, Pune University
- 1982 : Executive Committee, National Institute of Health and Family Welfare, New Delhi
- 1982 : Central Govt. Evaluation Team Area Development Project, DANIDA)
- 1981 : Advisory Panel, Family Planning Foundation of India, New Delhi
- 1978 : Task Force on Family Planning Indian Council of Medical Research Govt. of India, New Delhi
Papers Presented at National & International Conferences/Congresses, Workshop Seminar Attended
- 1972: "Community Health in Asia - Role of Health In the Development of Nations." Ecumenical Christian Conference, Bangkok
- 1972 : "Rural health Care" Christian Medical Commission Annual Meeting We Berlin
- 1974 : "Mobilizing Grass Root Response for Health Development" International
Voluntary Service Organization (U N Geneva Manila, Philippines)
- 1974 : "Rehabilitation of Handicapped Persons Appropriate Technology" Action
Research / UNICEF, London U.K.
- 1977 : "Nutrition in Rural Areas" International Union of Nutrition Scientists New Delhi
- 1977 : "Health Education for Rural Water Supply" IRDC WHO National Engineering and environmental Research Institute Nagpur, India
- 1980 : "Appropriate Technology for Basic Health Services" UNICEF - Nairobi, Kenya
- 1984: "Community Participation in Population Planning" OECD - Paris
- 1985 : "Community Participation in Primary Health Care" WONCA - London UK
- 1980 : Dr. Borges Memorial Oration "Health Care Myth or Reality" Tata Memorial Cancer Hospital Bombay India
- 1981 : Shantilal Seth Oration "Child in Village India" Indian Academy of Paediatrics Hyderabad
- 1986 : Smt. Sabarwal Memorial Oration "Role of Women in Nutrition and Health" Lady Irwin College, New Delhi
- 1988 : Shri R. S.Dubhashi Memorial Oration "Health for all by the year 2000", University of POONA (Pune)
- "CITATIONS for Rajanikant Shankarrao Arole and Mabelle Rajanikant Arole". Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- Magsaysay winner Dr Rajnikant Arole passes away in Pune