|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Rajdhani Express with LHB Coaches
|Parent company:||Indian Railways|
The Rajdhani Express is a series of express passenger train services in India operated by Indian Railways connecting New Delhi with other important destinations (mostly capital cities of other states). Rajdhani means "The Capital" in many Indian languages. The Rajdhanis are among the fastest trains in India along with Gatimaan Express, Shatabdi Express and Duronto Express and get the highest priority on the Indian railway network.
Rajdhani Express was introduced in 1969, for providing fast connections (up to 170 km/h or 110 mph, speed variation depending upon the particular track section) from New Delhi to the capital cities of various states in India. The first Rajdhani Express left New Delhi station for Howrah station to cover a distance of 1,445 km in 17 hours 20 mins.
Rajdhani express get highest priority on the Indian railway network. They are fully air-conditioned. Passengers are served complimentary meals during the journey. Depending on the duration and timings of the journey, these could include morning tea, breakfast, lunch, high tea and dinner. All Rajdhani Express trains offer three classes of accommodation: AC First Class with 2-berth and 4-berth lockable bedrooms, AC 2-tier with open berths (bays of 4 berths + 2 berths on the other side of the corridor) with curtains for privacy, and AC 3-tier (bays of 6 berths + 2 berths on the side) without curtains. Currently there are 22 pairs of trains, connecting New Delhi to important cities across the country. These trains have fewer stops than other express trains and halt only at prominent stations. The Indian Railways has also introduced free wi-fi facility in Rajdhani Express trains. Recently Dynamic pricing has been introduced on all Rajdhani express trains.
On 25 June 2014,at least four passengers were killed and eight injured when the New Delhi-Dibrugarh Rajdhani Express derailed at Goldin Ganj station near Chapra in suspected sabotage by Maoists. The train was heading towards Dibrugarh .
- Express trains in India
- Jan Shatabdi Express
- Garib Rath
- Shatabdi Express
- Duronto Express
- Premium train
- Gatimaan Express
- Double Decker Express
- Humsafar Express
- Tejas Express
- "Mumbai-New Delhi Rajdhani Express turns 40". Times of India. 20 May 2012. Retrieved 4 Sep 2012.
- "Rajdhani Express and Duronto Express Trains". MakeMyTrip.com. Retrieved 4 Sep 2012.
- "Railways launches Free Wi-Fi Service to access Internet in Rajdhani Express". Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- "Rajdhani Express trains". Indian Railways. Retrieved 14 Feb 2010.
- "List of all Rajdhani Express trains". etrain.info. Retrieved 4 Sep 2013.
- "12424/New Delhi - Dibrugarh Town Rajdhani Express". indiarailinfo.com. Retrieved 4 Apr 2016.
- "Rajdhani Express derails near Chhapra in Bihar; Railway suspects 'sabotage'". timesofindia-economictimes. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rajdhani Express.|