This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|MP of Rajya Sabha for Karnataka|
3 April 2012
|Founder, Chairman and CEO
20 July 2005
|President of Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry|
31 May 1964 |
|Parents||Air Commodore M K Chandrasekhar and Mrs Valli Chandrasekhar|
|Alma mater||Manipal Institute of Technology
Illinois Institute of Technology
Rajeev Chandrasekhar (born 31 May 1964) is an Indian politician and an entrepreneur who is currently serving as Member of Parliament in the upper house (Rajya Sabha) of the Indian Parliament . He represents the state of Karnataka.
He also currently serves as member of the Parliament Standing Committee on Defence, Consultative Committee on Defence, the Central Advisory Committee for the National Cadet Corps, Select committee on Real Estate and Select Committee on GST.
He is the founder and chairman of Jupiter Capital, a financial services and investment company, and founder of BPL Mobile, a major mobile phone service provider in India.
Early life and education
He studied in various schools across India, and studied electrical engineering at Manipal Institute of Technology. He completed Masters in Computer Science in 1988 from Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago. He then completed the Advanced Management Program at Harvard Business School.
In 1981, Rajeev briefly worked for Softech, a start-up IT firm. After handpicked by Vinod Dham, Rajeev worked for Intel Corporation in the United States between 1985 and 1991 as Senior Design Engineer of the team that designed and launched 32 bit 80486 microprocessor and CPU architect in the team that designed the path breaking Pentium microprocessor.
He is Managing Director of Republic News - a news channel launched by Arnab Goswami ,on 6th May 2017.
Rajeev founded Jupiter Capital in 2005, with an initial investment of US$100 million, and currently has investments and managed assets of over US$800 million in technology, media, hospitality and entertainment. Jupiter Entertainment Ventures Private Limited owns and operates media companies including Asianet News, Kannada Prabha and Suvarna News 24x7. The company also owns radio brands Best FM and Radio IndigoIndigo.
Currently he is the vice chairman of BJP-led NDA Kerala state unit.
Member of Parliament
Rajeev Chandrasekhar was an Independent member of Rajya Sabha representing Karnataka from April 2006 to April 2012. In April 2012, he was re-elected to the Rajya Sabha from Karnataka for a second six-year term as an Independent member. He has advocated for governance reforms, institution building, Internet freedom, national security, welfare of the Armed Forces Personnel and sustainable city building of Bangalore and Karnataka.
In February 2017, Rajeev was the subject of an article appearing in The Wire arguing that Chandrasekhar's investment in defense companies while serving as a member of a parliamentary committee on defence constituted a conflict of interest.
- Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Jupiter Capital Pvt. Ltd.
- Founder and Principal Donor – Flags of Honour Foundation
- Founder and Managing Trustee – RC Foundation (RCF)
- Chairman, National Military Memorial
Rajeev is married to Anju Chandrasekhar and resides in Koramangala,Bangalore.They have a son, Ved, and a daughter Devika.
Honours, awards and international recognition
|2007||IIT Global Service Award.||Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago.|||
- "India's 50 powerful people". India Today. April 14, 2017.
- "Personal Website of Rajeev Chandrasekhar". rajeev.in.
- "Bloomberg Stock Page : Jupiter Entertainment Ventures Private Limited".
- "Businessman Rajeev Chandrasekhar appointed Vice Chairman of NDA in Kerala - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-02-12.
- "In whose Interests do our Soldiers march? - The Wire". The Wire. Retrieved 2017-05-14.
- "2007 Alumni Award winners". Illinois Institute of Technology. Retrieved 16 June 2016.
- Sanghvi, Vir (2012). Men of Steel. Roli Books Private Limited. ISBN 9788174368256.
- Denyer, Simon (2012). Rogue Elephant: Harnessing the Power of India's Unruly Democracy. A&C Black. ISBN 9781408849767.