October 10, 1967 |
New Delhi, India
|Education||Bachelor of Engineering (Electronics and Communications), Manipal Institute of Technology, Karnataka, India|
|Home town||New Delhi|
|Spouse(s)||Nina Alag Suri (married 1992)|
Rajeev Suri (Hindi: राजीव सूरी; born 1967) is the chief executive officer (CEO) of the multinational communications and information technology corporation Nokia. Before the current assignment in May 2014, he was the CEO of Nokia Solutions and Networks since 2009 and held various positions in Nokia since 1995. Suri became the CEO of Nokia when the sale of Nokia's phone division to Microsoft Mobile was completed. He has a Bachelor of Engineering from Manipal Institute of Technology and worked for multinational corporations in India and Nigeria before joining Nokia.
Rajeev Suri was born in New Delhi in 1967 to parents Yashpal and Asha. Suri's father was from the Punjab region but in 1958 his parents had moved from India to Kuwait, where his entrepreneur father had a car imports business and where Suri was raised until 1985. He spoke Hindi at home, went to school in English and learned to read and write Arabic.
In 1995, Suri joined the Nokia group. Suri was instrumental in driving the Nokia Siemens Networks’ Services business unit's revenue in the company to grow from less than a third to about half. Suri motivated the company to create a new Services hub in India. Before heading Services, Suri headed the Asia Pacific operations from April 2007 until November 2007. From 1995 to March 2007, Suri worked on a number of assignments at Nokia Networks in Business Development, Marketing, Sales, Strategy from India, Finland, the United Kingdom and Singapore.
Suri followed Simon Beresford-Wylie as the CEO of NSN in October 2009 after Nokia Networks and Siemens Networks had been merged. He is considered a 'turnaround specialist' in the global tech circles.
On November 23, 2011, Suri announced that the company planned to eliminate 17,000 jobs by the end of 2013 to enable NSN to refocus on mobile broadband equipment, the fastest-growing segment of the market. The reductions would slash the company’s work force by 23 percent from 74,000. The cuts followed NSN’s $1.2 billion purchase of Motorola’s mobile network equipment business in July 2010, which added staff; and would help the company trim annual operating expenses by $1.35 billion by the end of 2013.
Suri is based in Espoo, Finland, Nokia headquarters. His wife Nina is founder of the executive search business Nastrac Group. His younger son Anish (17 years) based in Singapore and his elder son Ankit (21 years) studying music composition in Boston at Berklee College of Music. He has lived in 7 countries including India, Kuwait, Finland, UK, Nigeria, Germany and Singapore.
Suri is a fitness enthusiast. He is an avid music lover.
- "Nokia: India-born Rajeev Suri tipped to become next global CEO - Moneycontrol.com". moneycontrol.com.
- "Meet Rajiv Suri, the new Chief Executive Officer of Nokia". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "Nokia Siemens Networks appoints Rajeev Suri CEO". Wall Street Journal. Sep 1, 2009. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- "Rajeev Suri named Nokia Siemens CEO". Live Mint. Sep 1, 2009. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- "Nokia Group Leadership Team". Nokia. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- Antti Miettinen; Petri Sajari (4 May 2014). "Nokian toimitusjohtaja Rajeev Suri – 1 500 vatsalihasliikkeen mies". Helsingin Sanomat (in Finnish).
- "Nokia Solutions and Networks - Rajeev Suri Biography".
- "Bloomberg Businessweek - Rajeev Suri". Retrieved 2011-12-02.
- "Chief Executive Officer". Nokia Siemens Networks. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- "Rajeev Suri appointed Chief Executive Officer of Nokia Siemens Networks; Simon Beresford-Wylie to step down after successfully leading the company's integration". Nokia Siemens Networks. September 1, 2009. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- O’Brien, Kevin J. (November 23, 2011). "Nokia Siemens to Cut 23 Percent of Work Force". New York Times. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- "We are number 1 gearmaker in India: Rajeev Suri, CEO, Nokia Siemens Networks". Economic Times. May 18, 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- Philip, Joji Thomas (Oct 5, 2010). "Turnaround has resulted in PE interest: Rajeev Suri, CEO, Nokia Siemens". Economic Times. Retrieved 2011-12-02.
- "Rajeev Suri". Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- "Rajeev Suri". forinnovations.org.
as interim CEO
|Nokia Corporation CEO
|Nokia Solutions and Networks CEO