Rajeeva Laxman Karandikar
Rajeeva Laxman Karandikar
|Born||11 June 1956|
Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India
|Alma mater||Indian Statistical Institute, University of Indore|
|Awards||Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award|
|Institutions||Chennai Mathematical Institute|
Rajeeva Laxman Karandikar (born 11 June 1956) is an Indian mathematician, statistician and psephologist. He has served as the director of Chennai Mathematical Institute since 2010. He is a Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences and Indian National Science Academy.
He received his B.Sc. degree in Mathematics from Holkar Science College, University of Indore, Indore in June 1976 and his M.Stat. from Indian Statistical Institute in July 1978. He later obtained his PhD degree from ISI, Calcutta in December 1981. He went for his postdoctoral research to University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill to work under Gopinath Kallianpur. He spent three years as a visiting professor at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and returned to Indian Statistical Institute, Delhi in 1984 as an associate professor. He became a full professor in 1989. In 2006, he moved to Cranes Software International Limited as executive vice president for analytics. He moved to Chennai Mathematical Institute in 2010.
His research interests include several areas of probability theory, Finitely additive probability measures, stochastic calculus, martingale problems and Markov processes, Filtering theory, option pricing theory, psephology in the context of Indian elections and cryptography, among others.
He has conducted opinion polls for Indian Parliamentary elections and state assembly polls for Doordarshan, Aaj Tak/T V Today, Network 18, Hindustan Times, Indian Express, etc. Currently he is associated with ABP News. He has also conducted training programmes on Stochastic Calculus for ICICI Bank and other financial organizations. He served as the Executive Vice President for Cranes Software International Limited from 2006 to 2010.
- Gopinath Kallianpur; Rajeeva L. Karandikar (1 January 1988). White Noise Theory of Prediction, Filtering and Smoothing. CRC Press. ISBN 978-2-88124-685-2.
- Gopinath Kallianpur; Rajeeva L. Karandikar (6 October 2012). Introduction to Option Pricing Theory. Birkhäuser Boston. ISBN 978-1-4612-6796-6.
- "Indian Fellow". Indian National Science Academy. Archived from the original on October 1, 2015.
- Rajeeva L. Karandikar at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Karandikar, Rajeeva Laxman. "Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). Chennai Mathematical Institute.
- Caleb, Nithya (2 January 2013). "A family tradition". The Indian Express. Retrieved 12 October 2018.