Rajen A. Kilachand
Rajen A. Kilachand
|Residence||Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
|Alma mater||Boston University|
|Occupation||Chairman and president of Dodsal Group|
|Net worth||US$ 2.5 billion (2014)|
|Spouse(s)||Nina Dev Kilachand|
Early life and education
Kilachand is the son of Arvind Nandlal Dev Kilachand and Chandanben Arvind Dev Kilachand. The family was originally from Patan in Gujarat, After his father's untimely death, he took over Dodsal, a British trading company founded in 1948 by the Nandlal Dev Kilachand family.
Rajen Kilachand is the chairman & President of the Dodsal Group. He is a trustee and a member of the Board of Management of the Bhatia General Hospital in Mumbai, India. He is also the trustee of the Shree Somnath Temple Trust in Gujarat, India.
Kilachand has contributed an endowment of US$25 million for the Arvind and Chandan Dev Kilachand Honors College at Boston University. The donation is one of the largest in the university's history. The College delivers a liberal arts curriculum with a focus on innovation.
In 2017, Kilachand made a gift of $115 million to Boston University for research at the intersection of life sciences and engineering. The gift established a $100 million endowment to support in perpetuity research in these important areas. The gift, which also supports the construction of a center, is the largest in Boston University's history. The center, yet to be started, will be named the Rajen Kilachand Center for Integrated Life Sciences & Engineering.
Kilachand has supported rural development, educational institutions, community aid and humanitarian missions, and women's empowerment organisations around the world, emphasising his passion for helping to achieve sustainable development. Over the years, he supported various organisations such as the Cherie Blair Foundation, the Children's Hope Foundation, the Oman Charitable Organisation, the Paraplegic Association in India, the Women's Cancer Centre at Tata Memorial Centre, India, Grant Medical College and the North Gujarat University.
A long time philanthropist, Kilachand who serves on the board of Pathfinder International helps in various global activities on reproductive health, family planning, and HIV/AIDS prevention and care in over 25 countries. He also supports Dubai Cares, an initiative of H H Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, ruler of Dubai and vice-president and prime minister of the United Arab Emirates that aims to educate over one million children in impoverished countries.
Rajen Kilachand is the only foreign sponsor of the New Orleans Jazz Festival, along with funding various music and art festivals as well as community theatres including the Dubai Community Theatre and Arts Centre, the Majlis Gallery in Dubai, the Met in New York City, the Capital Jazz Festival and the Pune Festival.
He also supports various corporate and law and order initiatives, including the Asian Business Leadership Forum Awards, the India-UAE Knowledge Forum, the IPLOCA Conventions, the Arab Strategy Forum, the India-Arab World Business Summit and Police & the Union, UAE.
Awards and recognition
- Global Business Achievement Award at the Masala Awards 2011
- Ranked 14th most influential Indian in the Gulf
- "Boston University alumnus donates $25m to the institute". The National. 9 October 2011. Retrieved 1 March 2012.
- "Revealed: Indian Rich List 2011". Arabian Business.
- "Chairman's CV". Dodsal Group.
- "Philanthropist & Visionary Business Leader Rajen Kilachand Pledges $25 Million to BU". Boston: Boston University. 22 September 2011.
- "Dodsal.com". Dodsal Group.
- "Rajen Kilachand: Executive Profile & Biography". Bloomberg Businessweek.
- "About Us: Board of Directors". Pathfinder International.
- "Dodsal Philanthropy". Dodsal Group.
- "ABLF Awards – The Supporters". Asian Business Leadership Forum Awards.
- "The Indian Expressions Event presented by the Rajen A. Kilachand Foundation rolled out yesterday evening at the Emirates Palace Hotel with panache". Zawya. 25 May 2010.
- "Indian Power List 2011". Arabian Business. 16 October 2011.