Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law
||This article may contain academic boosterism which primarily serves to praise or promote the subject and may be a sign of a conflict of interest. (April 2013)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||Knowledge Empowers (\M/)|
|Type||National Law University|
|Chancellor||Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof.(Dr.)Paramjit Singh Jaswal|
|Students||480 undergraduates and 30 graduates|
|Location||Patiala, Punjab, India|
|Campus||50 acres (0.20 km2)|
|Affiliations||Bar Council of India, University Grant Commission|
Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law (RGNUL), is a National Law University located in Patiala, Punjab, India. It was established in 2006 by the Punjab Government (Punjab Act No. 12 of 2006) as a university dedicated to the field of Legal Education. The first vice-chancellor of the University was Gurjit Singh. The institution is currently being headed by Dr. Paramjit S. Jaswal. RGNUL started functioning from its Headquarters-Mohindra Kothi, The Mall, Patiala w.e.f. 26 May 2006. From session of 2013 RGNUL started functioning in its permanent 50 acre campus which is located at scenic Sidhuwal, 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) from Patiala. RGNUL is affiliated to UGC and approved by the Bar Council of India.
RGNUL was established in 2006 to fulfill the need for a centre of excellence in legal studies in the richest state in the country.
Academic reputation and students' achievements
The Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law has earned widespread appreciation for its proactive curriculum which consists of the globally tried-and-tested Major and Minor scheme. First years are given the option of choosing one major and two minors, a system advocated by most of the major universities of the world.
The faculty has been recognized as one of the best authorities in particular areas of their expertise. The International Law faculty has been undisputed as one of the best amongst all law colleges across the country.
The students have gained widespread appreciation for excelling in activities both academic and extra-curricular. The students have been published across a variety of law journals both national and international.
RGNUL has partnerships with various universities around the world including an MOU with Ontario International Development Agency, Canada.
The institution has been a partner institute for Surana & Surana National Trial Advocacy Moot Court Competition.
Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab has been accredited with 'A' Grade scoring CGPA of 3.32 out of 4 points by National Assessment and Accreditation Council, Bangalore (NAAC) in 2015.
Courses, Intakes and Duration
|B.A. LL.B (Honours)||196||5 Years||CLAT|
|Ph.D in Law and Social Science (Full time)||(Shall be notified by Advertisement)||Minimum Two Years and Maximum Three Years||Entrance Test to be conducted by the University every year on the First Sunday in the Month of May|
|Ph.D in Law and Social Science (Part time)||(Shall be notified by Advertisement)||Minimum Two Years and Maximum Five Years||Entrance Test to be conducted by the University every year on the First Sunday in the Month of May|
- RGNUL Student Law Review
- RGNUL Financial & Mercantile Law Review
- RGNUL Journal of Social Sciences
- RGNUL Book Series on Corporate Law & Corporate Affairs
RGNUL campus is situated near Village Sidhuwal, Bhadson Road, Patiala and has an area of approximately 50 Acres. It is a State-of-the-art campus and is one of the best among all NLU's. The fully residential and beautiful campus has a Centrally Air-conditioned Administrative cum-Academic Block, separate Library, Sports Complex, Air conditioned and fully Wi-Fi Hostels, separate for girls and boys, Guest House, Auditorium, Community Hall, Health Centre, residences for Teaching and Non-teaching staff and various other facilities which are required in daily life. A utility area consisting of State Bank of India Branch, ATM (SBI), cafeteria (Cafe Hideout), juice shop, stationery shop, post office, unisex salon and basic grocery store has been functional since 2014 for the convenience of the students. RGNUL has a well equipped computerized Central Library with collection of over 22000 Volumes in addition to the specialized libraries of the Research Centres. There are three advanced Computer Labs with 140 computers and High speed internet connectivity.
In a short span of eight years RGNUL has established a number of specialised centres in its campus catering to the myriad needs of its students. The most important among them are the following:
- Centre for Advanced Study in Criminal Law (CASCL)
- Centre for Consumer Protection Laws and Advocacy (CCPLA)
- Centre for Advanced Study in International Humanitarian Law (CASH)
- RGNUL Institute of Competitive Exams(RICE)
- Centre for Study in Agriculture Law and Economices (SALE)
- Bureau of Information for Studies Abroad (BISA)
- Directorate of Distance Education (DODE)
- Centre for Advanced Studies in Human Rights (CASIHR)
- RGNUL School OF Social Sciences (RSSS)
Membership with organizations
RGNUL is also a member of a number of professional organizations of national and international stature like:
- Asian Law Institute (ASLI), Singapore
- Commonwealth Legal Education Association (CLEA)
- Forum of South Asian Clinical Law Teachers (FSACLT), Goa
- Indian Economic Association (IEA); Indian Institute of Comparative Law (IICL), Jaipur
- Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA), New Delhi
- Indian Law Institute (ILI), New Delhi
- Indian Political Science Association (IPSA)
- Indian Society of Criminology (ISC), Madras; Indian Society of International Law (ISIL), New Delhi
- Institute of Constitutional and Parliamentary Studies (ICPS), New Delhi
- International Association of Law Schools (IALS)
- International Law Students Association (ILSA), United States of America,
- Legal Information Institute of India (LII of India)
- Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute (SICI)