Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law
This article may contain academic boosterism which primarily serves to praise or promote the subject and may be a sign of a conflict of interest. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||Knowledge Empowers (\M/)|
|Type||Public National Law University|
|Chancellor||Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof.(Dr.)Paramjit Singh Jaswal|
|Students||480 undergraduates and 30 graduates|
|Campus||50 acres (0.20 km2)|
|Affiliations||Bar Council of India, University Grant Commission|
Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law (RGNUL), is a National Law University located in Patiala, Punjab, India. It was established in 2006 by the Punjab Government (Punjab Act No. 12 of 2006) as a university dedicated to the field of Legal Education. The first vice-chancellor of the University was Gurjit Singh. The institution is currently being headed by Dr. Paramjit S. Jaswal. RGNUL started functioning from its Headquarters-Mohindra Kothi, The Mall, Patiala w.e.f. 26 May 2006. From session of 2013 RGNUL started functioning in its permanent 50 acre campus which is located at scenic Sidhuwal, 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) from Patiala. RGNUL is affiliated to UGC and approved by the Bar Council of India.
RGNUL was established in 2006.
RGNUL offers a 5-year B.A. LL.B (Honours) programme and a 1-year LL.M. with an intake of 196 seats per annum and 40 seats per annum, respectively. Admission to these programmes is through Common Law Admission Test (CLAT). Ph.D prorgammes are also offered.
- RGNUL Student Law Review
- RGNUL Financial & Mercantile Law Review
- RGNUL Journal of Social Sciences
- RGNUL Book Series on Corporate Law & Corporate Affairs
In a short span of eight years RGNUL has established a number of specialised centres in its campus catering to the myriad needs of its students. The most important among them are the following:
- Centre for Advanced Study in Criminal Law (CASCL)
- Centre for Consumer Protection Laws and Advocacy (CCPLA)
- Centre for Advanced Study in International Humanitarian Law (CASH)
- RGNUL Institute of Competitive Exams(RICE)
- Centre for Study in Agriculture Law and Economices (SALE)
- Bureau of Information for Studies Abroad (BISA)
- Directorate of Distance Education (DODE)
- Centre for Advanced Studies in Human Rights (CASIHR)
- RGNUL School OF Social Sciences (RSSS)
Membership with organizations
RGNUL is also a member of a number of professional organizations of national and international stature like:
- Asian Law Institute (ASLI), Singapore
- Commonwealth Legal Education Association (CLEA)
- Forum of South Asian Clinical Law Teachers (FSACLT), Goa
- Indian Economic Association (IEA); Indian Institute of Comparative Law (IICL), Jaipur
- Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA), New Delhi
- Indian Law Institute (ILI), New Delhi
- Indian Political Science Association (IPSA)
- Indian Society of Criminology (ISC), Madras; Indian Society of International Law (ISIL), New Delhi
- Institute of Constitutional and Parliamentary Studies (ICPS), New Delhi
- International Association of Law Schools (IALS)
- International Law Students Association (ILSA), United States of America,
- Legal Information Institute of India (LII of India)
- Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute (SICI)
|Law – India|
|The Week (2017)||16|
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-08-07. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- http://www.pdfadd.com/pdfonline/566860.pdf[permanent dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-05-18. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- Singh, Abhinav (18 June 2017). "The Week - Hansa Research Best Colleges Survey 2017: Top Law Colleges - All India". The Week. Retrieved 8 September 2017.