Rajiv Kumar (economist)
|2nd Vice-chairman of NITI Aayog|
|Assumed office |
1 September 2017
|Preceded by||Arvind Panagariya|
|Secretary General of Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry|
2010 – 2012
|Director and Chief Executive of Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations|
2006 – 2010
|Chief Economist of Confederation of Indian Industry|
2004 – 2006
|Principal Economist of Asian Development Bank|
1995 – 2005
|Senior Consultant of Ministry of Industries and Ministry of Finance, Government of India|
1989 – 1991
|Born||6 July 1951|
|Alma mater||University of Lucknow (Ph.D.)|
University of Oxford (D.Phil.)
Rajiv Kumar (born 6 July 1951) is an Indian economist and is currently the vice-chairman of the NITI Aayog. He is the chancellor of the Gokhale Institute of Economics and Politics in Pune and founding director of Pahle India Foundation, a non-profit research organisation that specialises in policy-oriented research and analysis. Kumar is the writer of several books on India’s economy and national security. He is an economic columnist for major Indian publications and is a speaker on the Indian political economy.
Early life and education
Kumar holds a Ph.D. from the Lucknow University, which he received in 1978 and a D.Phil. in Economics from Oxford University which he received in 1981. He has Bachelor's Degree from St. Stephen college, Delhi University 
Kumar was appointed Senior Research Program Officer, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER) in Delhi in 1982.  He returned to ICRIER as the Director and Chief Executive in Feb 2006 and continued to be until August 2010. He was a professor in Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT) from 1987 to 1989.
He was appointed as the Senior Consultant, Bureau of Costs and Prices and served the Ministry of Industry, Government of India from 1989 to 1991. He served as the Economic Advisor in the Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Government of India, from 1992 to 1995. In 1995, he joined the Asian Development Bank in Manila as a Principal Economist, where he served until 2005. He worked for the Confederation of India Industries as the Chief Economist for 2 years from 2004 – 2006. He was the Secretary General at the FICCI from 2010 to 2012. He became a senior fellow at the Centre for Policy Research, Delhi from 2013 until January 2017.
- Modi and His Challenges. New Delhi. ISBN 9384898341. OCLC 951840612.
- Resurgent India: Ideas and Priorities. New Delhi. ISBN 9789332701632. OCLC 914465376.
- Exploding Aspirations: Unlocking India's Future. New Delhi. ISBN 9789332701540. OCLC 889174707.
- Roychoudhury, Arup (6 August 2017). "NITI's new V-C Rajiv Kumar: A homegrown economist who keeps a low profile" – via Business Standard.
- "Economist Rajiv Kumar to head NITI Aayog". 6 August 2017.
- "Rajiv Kumar - Centre for Policy Research". www.cprindia.org.
- "Modi and his challenges: Leading India on its march to prosperity". www.ideasforindia.in.
- "Directors". pahleindia.org.
- "Looking forward to serve the nation: Niti Vice-Chair Rajiv Kumar".
- "Rajiv Kumar succeeds Panagariya as new Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog". 8 August 2017.
- "Economist Rajiv Kumar replaces Arvind Panagariya as new NITI Aayog vice-chairman". 5 August 2017.