Raju Srivastav during an event
|Birth name||Satya Prakash Srivastava|
25 December 1963 |
Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Children||Antara Srivastava, Aayushmaan Srivastava|
|Notable works and roles||Standup Comedy on The Great Indian Laughter Challenge|
Raju Srivastava (born Satya Prakash Srivastava on 25 December 1963), often credited as Gajodhar or Raju Shrivastav, is one of the most popular comedians in India. He is best known for his observational comedy about various instances in daily life. He revealed in a podcast that he is related to actor Amitabh Bachchan through a common relative.
Raju Srivastava was born on 25 December 1963, in Kanpur, India in a middle class Kayastha family. His father was a very famous poet, Mr. Ramesh Chandra Srivastava known as Balai Kaka. Being a good mimic, Raju nursed the dream of becoming a comedian since childhood. In his school time he used to imitate his teachers. He gained stardom as a versatile comedian.
Srivastav has performed in thousands of stage shows in India and abroad. He also launched a series of his audio cassettes and video CDs. He gained initial stardom as an Amitabh Bachchan look-alike and also imitated him very well.
He started his career by doing small roles in Bollywood films. He landed in Mumbai (then Bombay), and after a few years did a blink-and-you-miss role in the superhit Rajshri movie Maine Pyar Kiya. He did many other small roles in various movies such as Bazigar & Bombay to Goa, mostly an inconspicuous comic role. He was starting to be recognised for his work as an actor cum comedian with Bollywood movie Aamdani Atthani Kharcha Rupaiyaa.
He got his big break with the comedy talent show The Great Indian Laughter Challenge. He finished as second runner-up and then took part in the spin-off, The Great Indian Laughter Challenge - Champions, in which he won the title of "The King of Comedy" from where his journey as a stand-up comedian started.
After that, he was noticed by many filmmakers and got regular assignments in movies with bigger roles. Raju has been an avid supporter of good comedy and criticized vulgarity.
He participated in Big Boss - 3, Indian counterpart of the Big Brother. After staying in the house for more than two months he was voted out on December 4, 2009. He wanted Vindu Dara Singh to win Bigg Boss season 3 as he thinks Vindu is good at heart.
He has participated in the comedy show Comedy Ka Maha Muqabla. In 2013, Raju along with his wife participated in Nach Baliye 6 which is a dance couple show on Star Plus. He also appeared on Comedy Nights with Kapil.
He also appeared in a show called Mazaak Mazaak Mein a.k.a. 'The Indian Mazaak League'. It was a stand up comedy show which aired on Life Ok. The show is produced by Balaji Telefilms of Ekta Kapoor and Shobha Kapoor. Popular cricketers Harbhajan Singh and Shoaib Akhtar were seen as the judges of the show.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav's Samajwadi Party fielded Srivastava from Kanpur in the 2014 Lok Sabha election. But on 11 March 2014, Srivastava returned the ticket, saying he was not getting enough support from the local units of the party. After that he joined Bhartiya Janta Party on 19 March 2014.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi nominated him to be part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan. Since then he has been promoting cleanliness through his events in different cities. He has made various music videos for promoting cleanliness. He has also shot various TV commercials and social service message videos for Swacha Bharat Abhiyaan.
He is married to Shikha Srivastava and has two children named Antara Srivastava & Aayushmaan Srivastava. Shikha is a homemaker. Raju along with his wife Shikha participated in Nach Baliye 6 which is an dance couple show on Star Plus. Show did really well. They both entertained the audience with their chemistry in dance and comedy.
Raju's daughter, Antra Srivastava got National Bravery Award from that time prime minister Dr.Manmohan Singh and President Dr.A.P.J Abdul Kalam. Antara is an upcoming actress, currently[when?] she is shooting for a film called Vodka Diaries. it is being directed by Kushal Srivastava who is nephew of Raju Srivastava.
Raju Srivastav received threatening calls from Pakistan warning him not to crack jokes on underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and Pakistan during his shows.
- 1988 Tezaab as an extra
- 1989 Maine Pyaar Kiya as Truck Cleaner
- 1993 Baazigar as College Student
- 1993 Mr. Azad
- 2001 Aamdani Atthani Kharcha Rupaiyaa as Baba Chin Chin Choo
- 2002 Waah! Tera Kya Kehna as Banne Khan's assistant
- 2003 Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon as Kareena's servant
- 2006 Vidhyaarthi: The Power of Students as Inspector J.K.
- 2007 Big Brother as Auto Rickshaw Driver & Rizwan Ahmad
- 2007 Bombay to Goa as Anthony Gonsalves
- 2010 Bhavnao Ko Samjho as Daya from Gaya
- 2010 Barood : (The Fire) - A Love Story
- 2017 Toilet: Ek Prem Katha
- The Great Indian Laughter Challenge
- Bigg Boss
- Tea Time Manoranjan
- Masti TV
- Raju Hazir Ho
- Comedy Ka Maha Muqabala
- Comedy Circus
- Dekh Bhai Dekh (Cameo Role)
- Laugh India Laugh
- Nautanki- The Comedy Theatre
- Nach Baliye 6
- Comedy Nights with Kapil
- The Kapil Sharma Show<Sony Entertainment Television> Finally Raju Srivastav on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'!]</ref>
- Gangs of Haseepur
- Raju Srivastav tickles the funny bone at Le Meridien, Bangalore
- "Akhilesh Yadav turns to comedy, fields Raju Srivastava from Kanpur in Lok Sabha election". Indian Express. 14 February 2013.
- "Comedian Raju Srivastava returns SP Lok Sabha ticket". The Hindu. 11 March 2014.
- Comedian Raju Srivastava Returns SP Lok Sabha Ticket
- "Jagdambika Pal, comedian Raju Srivastava join BJP, endorse Narendra Modi". Zee News. 19 March 2014. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- BJP is future of Indian politics, says Raju Srivastava
- Jagdambika Pal, artiste Raju Srivastava join BJP
- "Comedian Raju Srivastav gets threat from Pak". indiatimes.com. Mumbai: Times of India. January 31, 2009. Retrieved 19 January 2017.
- Comedian Raju Srivastav exits Bigg Boss house
- Funnyman Raju Srivastava and chef Ripudaman Handa in 'Nach Baliye 6'
- Finally Raju Srivastav on 'Comedy Nights with Kapil'!
- Being seriously funny