Rajya Rani Express
|Main Operation(s)||State capital to important cities in the state|
|Other Operation(s)||Launched in 2011|
|Parent company||Indian Railways|
The word "Rajya" means "kingdom" and the word "Rani" means Queen in Sanskrit and several Indian languages. The Rajya Rani trains were announced by the railway minister in railway budget 2011. The first service was flagged off on 1 July 2011 between Mysore and Bangalore.
The train was named after Maharani Gayatri Devi, former princess of the state of Cooch Behar, Maharani of Jaipur. She was one of the world's 10 most beautiful women on the Vogue list. She shares space with the likes of Rabindranath Tagore (Kavi Guru Express) and Swami Vivekananda (Vivek Express) as the railways has named a series of trains as Rajya Rani Expresses to honour the late Rajmata of Jaipur.
|S.No.||Train No.||Sector||Distance (km)||Date of introduction|
|1||16557 / 16558||Mysore - Bangalore||139||1 July 2011|
|2||11003 / 11004||Dadar - Sawantwadi Road||497||1 July 2011|
|3||22861 / 22862||Shalimar - Adra||229||01 Oct 2011|
|4||22161 / 22162||Bhopal - Damoh||291||12 Nov 2011|
|5||16349 / 16350||Thiruvannathapuram Central - Nilambur Road||393||16 Nov 2011|
|6||18417 / 18418||Rourkela - Gunupur||341||16 Nov 2011|
|7||15417 / 15418||Alipurduar - Silghat||460||14 Feb 2012|
|8||22453 / 22454||Meerut - Lucknow||459||11 March 2012|
|9||22101 / 22102||Manmad - Lokmanya Tilak Terminus||242||12 March 2012|
|10||12567 / 12568||Saharsa - Patna||214||18 March 2012|
- Tamilcube.com: rajya, Tamil Cube, September 9, 2011.
- Tamilcube.com: rani, Tamil Cube, March 10, 2012.
- Headlines Today Bureau: 10 new Rajya Rani Express trains announced., Headlines Today Bureau, February 25, 2011.
- Equity Bulls: Rajya Rani Express to Connect State Capitals With Important Cities of Those States., Equity Bulls, February 25, 2011.
- Day in Pics, TOI: Rajya Rani Express inaugurated, Times of India, Jul 2, 2011.
- Jayanta Gupta, TNN: Trains in honour of Gayatri Devi., Times of India, July 1, 2011.