|Elevation||1,280 m (4,200 ft)|
|Population (2012 Estimate)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Rakai is located approximately 62 kilometres (39 mi), by road, southwest of Masaka, the largest town in the sub-region. This location is approximately 208 kilometres (129 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. The coordinates of Rakai are: 0°42'36.0"S, 31°24'18.0"E (Latitude:-0.7100, Longitude:31.4050).
The 2002 national census put the population of the town at about 5,920. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the mid-year population of Rakai at 6,900. In 2011 UBOS estimated the mid-ear population of the town at about 7,000.
Points of interest
The following points of interest are located within the town limits or close to its edges:
- The headquarters of Rakai District Administration
- The offices of Rakai Town Council
- Rakai Central Market
- Rakai Hospital - A 100-bed public hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- "Distance Between Masaka And Rakai With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "Map Showing Kampala And Rakai With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "Location of Rakai At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "Estimated Population of Rakai In 2002, 2010 & 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 9 May 2014.