|Rakhi Birla (Rakhi Bidhlan)|
|Deputy Speaker of Delhi Legislative Assembly |
10 June 2016
|Preceded by||Bandana Kumari, AAP|
|Member of Delhi Legislative Assembly|
28 December 2013, again on 10 Feb 2015
|Preceded by||Raj Kumar Chauhan|
|Born||1987 (age 30–31)
|Political party||Aam Aadmi Party|
|Portfolio||Deputy Speaker, Sixth Legislative Assembly of Delhi, Ex Cabinet minister of Women and Child, Social Welfare and Languages|
Rakhi Birla (born 1987) is an Indian politician from Aam Aadmi Party. She was the cabinet minister of Women & Child, Social Welfare and Languages in Delhi Government from (Dec 28 2013 to Feb 14 2014). She represents Mongolpuri assembly constituency of Delhi & Currently Deputy Speaker of Delhi Legislative Assembly since (10 June 2016).
Early life and education
She was born in Delhi to Sheila and Bhupendra Singh Bidhlan. She adopted Birla as her surname when her school administration mistakenly wrote Birla instead of Bidlan in her class 10th certificate. She was the youngest of four daughters. She did Masters in Mass Communication from NBA School Of Mass Communication, New Delhi. Her family was into social causes for four generations, from her great-grandfather and then grandfather who joined the struggle for India's independence.
She joined a local television channel,Jain T.V. , as a trainee reporter after completing her education. She has total 7 months experience of Journalism with Jain TV.
She came into contact of Arvind Kejriwal during Jan Lokpal Bill movement. She joined Aam Aadmi Party later and contested Delhi legislative assembly election, 2013 from Mangolpuri and defeated four times MLA Raj Kumar Chauhan of Indian National Congress. She was sworn in as a Cabinet minister of Women and Child, Social Welfare and Languages in Delhi Government and became the youngest ever Cabinet Minister of Delhi(28 December 2013 to 14 February 2014). She lost to BJP's Udit Raj in the 2014 lok sabha election from North West Delhi She got the highest number of votes among all the candidates all over India, who lost their election during Lok Sabha Election 2014. Ms. Rakhi Birla elected as Deputy Speaker of Delhi Legislative Assembly on 10 June 2016. She is the youngest ever Deputy Speaker of Delhi Legislative Assembly.
- Cabinet Minister, Women and Child, Social Welfare and Languages (28 December 2013 - 14 February 2014)
- At present, Deputy Speaker, Delhi Vidhan Sabha since 10 June 2016.
- Chairperson, Committee on Women and Child Development, Petition, Question & Reference
- Member, National Executive of Aam Aadmi Party and Mla Mangolpuri
- "Assembly election results: Meet Aam Aadmi Party's 'giant killers'". NDTV Portal. 10 December 2013.
- "Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party picks its ministers". NDTV Portal. 24 December 2013.
- "Rakhi Birla: The youngest minister in Kejriwal's cabinet". The Hindu.
- "Meet Aam Aadmi Party winners: Politicians with a difference". Deccan Chronicle. 10 December 2013.
- "AAP withdraws its Candidate from Lok Sabha Polls over Criminal Charges". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 18 March 2014.