This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2019)
|Founders||Jacinto Roca, Josep Mitjà|
|Spain, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Finland, Austria, Ireland, Belgium, Croatia, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Portugal, Switzerland, Ukraine and Japan|
|Jacinto Roca (CEO)|
Josep Mitjà (COO)
Nikhil Deora (CSO)
David Villanueva Cabezas (CTO)
|Products||Video on demand films and tv series|
Number of employees
Rakuten TV is a video-on-demand (VOD) streaming service, offering movies and TV series for subscription, rental and purchase. It is owned by the Japanese company Rakuten. Rakuten TV's catalogue includes content from studios around the world, including Warner Bros., Disney, and Sony Pictures, local distributors, and independent labels, being the smallest and least known service among its competitors.
The company is headquartered in Barcelona and currently operates in sixteen countries around Europe; Spain, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Finland, Austria, Ireland, Belgium, Croatia, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Portugal, Ukraine and Switzerland.
In June 2012, Rakuten, the world's third largest e-commerce company, acquired the company, previously known as Wuaki.tv. In July 2017, Wuaki.tv changed its name to Rakuten TV. Rakuten took over the user base from TalkTalk TV Store (previously Blinkbox) including migration of user purchased titles, in June 2018.
On 11 June 2019, Rakuten announced the launch of Rakuten Sports, a new live streaming and video on demand (VOD) sports entertainment platform to expand and deliver sports content to several countries around the world, after eleven countries across the Europe.
- Woods, Ben (28 May 2014). "Wuaki.Tv Is Now Available to Stream on Chromecast in the UK". The Next Web. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Wuaki.tv streaming service now available on Xbox 360, £2.99 a month for life offer still on - Pocket-lint". www.pocket-lint.com. 5 September 2013. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Wuaki.tv video service gets Android, iPad app support in UK". Engadget. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Wuaki launches new 4K smart TV app » Digital TV Europe". www.digitaltveurope.net. 5 September 2014. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- Wauters, Robin (13 June 2012). "Rakuten Acquires Spanish Video-On-Demand Company Wuaki.tv". The Next Web. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Davis Cup by Rakuten Madrid Finals to be broadcast in more than 171 countries". Davis Cup. 2019-11-07. Retrieved 2019-11-15.