This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2019)
|Jacinto Roca (CEO)|
Josep Mitjà (COO)
Nikhil Deora (CSO)
Miquel Barba (CTO)
|Products||Video on demand films and tv series|
Number of employees
Rakuten TV is a video-on-demand (VOD) streaming service, offering movies and TV series for subscription, rental and purchase. Rakuten TV's catalogue includes content from studios around the world including Warner Bros., Disney and Sony Pictures, local distributors, and independent labels, being the smallest and least known service among its competitors.
The company is headquartered in Barcelona and currently operates in twelve countries around Europe; Spain, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Finland, Austria, Ireland, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Portugal and Switzerland.
In June 2012, Rakuten, the world's third largest e-commerce company, acquired the company previously known as Wuaki.tv. In July 2017, Wuaki.tv changed its name to Rakuten TV. Rakuten took over the user base from TalkTalk TV Store (previously Blinkbox) including migration of user purchased titles, in June 2018.
On 11 June 2019, Rakuten announced the launch of Rakuten Sports, a new live streaming and video on demand (VOD) sports entertainment platform to expand and deliver sports content to several countries around the world, after eleven countries across the Europe. Starts 14 June, sports fans around the world will able to watch J.League football matches.[note 1]
- J-league matches on Rakuten Sports are not available to watch in Japan, the Balkan countries, Brunei, Canada, China, Hong Kong, Korea, Macau, Middle East & North Africa, Mongolia, Thailand, and the United States.
- Woods, Ben. "Wuaki.Tv Is Now Available to Stream on Chromecast in the UK". The Next Web. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Wuaki.tv streaming service now available on Xbox 360, £2.99 a month for life offer still on - Pocket-lint". www.pocket-lint.com. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Wuaki.tv video service gets Android, iPad app support in UK". Engadget. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Wuaki launches new 4K smart TV app » Digital TV Europe". www.digitaltveurope.net. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- Wauters, Robin. "Rakuten Acquires Spanish Video-On-Demand Company Wuaki.tv". The Next Web. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Davis Cup by Rakuten Madrid Finals to be broadcast in more than 171 countries". Davis Cup. 2019-11-07. Retrieved 2019-11-15.