Raleigh County Memorial Airport
|Raleigh County Memorial Airport|
|IATA: BKW – ICAO: KBKW – FAA LID: BKW|
|Owner||Raleigh County Airport Authority|
|Serves||Beckley, West Virginia|
|Elevation AMSL||2,504 ft / 763 m|
Raleigh County Memorial Airport (IATA: BKW, ICAO: KBKW, FAA LID: BKW) is a public use airport located three nautical miles (6 km) east of the central business district of Beckley, a city in Raleigh County, West Virginia, United States. It is owned by the Raleigh County Airport Authority. The airport is used for general aviation, but is also served by one commercial airline with scheduled passenger service subsidized by the Essential Air Service program.
As per Federal Aviation Administration records, the airport had 3,630 passenger boardings (enplanements) in calendar year 2008, 2,626 enplanements in 2009, and 2,429 in 2010. It is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a non-primary commercial service airport based on enplanements in 2008 (between 2,500 and 10,000) but would categorize it as general aviation based in enplanements in 2010 (under 2,500).
In 2005, the airport was the least busy airport with scheduled airline service in the United States, with 2,578 passengers using the facility that year.
Facilities and aircraft
Raleigh County Memorial Airport covers an area of 1,433 acres (580 ha) at an elevation of 2,504 feet (763 m) above mean sea level. It has two asphalt paved runways: 1/19 is 6,750 by 150 feet (2,057 x 46 m) and 10/28 is 5,001 by 100 feet (1,524 x 30 m).
For the 12-month period ending July 31, 2011, the airport had 21,904 aircraft operations, an average of 60 per day: 89% general aviation, 7% air taxi, and 4% military. At that time there were 59 aircraft based at the airport: 52.5% single-engine, 30.5% multi-engine, 7% jet, and 10% helicopter.
Airline and destinations
The following airline offers scheduled passenger service at the airport:
- Beckley Raleigh County Memorial Airport, official web site
- FAA Airport Master Record for BKW ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective May 31, 2012.
- "Enplanements for CY 2008" (PDF, 1.0 MB). CY 2008 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. December 18, 2009.
- "Enplanements for CY 2010" (PDF, 189 KB). CY 2010 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2011.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010.
- Reed, Dan (September 26, 2006). "U.S. airports, by the numbers". USA Today. Retrieved June 25, 2008.
- Beckley lands new nonstop Charlotte service, aircraft maintenance facility, The Charleston Gazette, October 30, 2014, Retrieved 2014-11-03
- Essential Air Service documents (Docket DOT-OST-1997-2761) from the U.S. Department of Transportation:
- Order 2004-6-14 (June 18, 2004): selecting Colgan Air, Inc., d/b/a US Airways Express, to continue providing essential air service at Beckley and Bluefield/Princeton, West Virginia, for the two-year period beginning August 1, 2004, at an annual subsidy of $2,017,064.
- Order 2006-7-2 (July 3, 2006): selecting Colgan Air, Inc., d/b/a US Airways Express, to provide essential air service at Beckley, West Virginia, for a new two-year period beginning August 1, 2006, at a subsidy of $1,930,759 annually.
- Order 2008-6-14 (June 10, 2008): re-selecting Pinnacle Airlines, Corp. d/b/a Colgan Air, Inc., to continue to provide subsidized essential air service (EAS) at Beckley, West Virginia, for the two-year period beginning August 1, 2008, at the annual subsidy rate of $2,092,844.
- Order 2010-6-25 (June 29, 2010): re-selecting Colgan Air, Inc. to provide essential air service (EAS) at Clarksburg/Fairmont and Morgantown, WV, for a combined annual subsidy of $2,976,438, and at Beckley, WV, for an annual subsidy of $2,313, 457, for the two-year period from August 1, 2010, through July 31, 2012. Also selecting Gulfstream International Airlines, Inc., to provide EAS at Parkersburg, WV/Marietta, OH, at an annual subsidy rate of $2,642,237, for a two-year period beginning when the carrier inaugurates full EAS through the end of the 24th month thereafter. The total annual subsidy for all four communities is $7,923,132.
- Order 2012-4-32 (April 30, 2012): selecting Silver Airways to provide Essential Air Service (EAS) at Beckley, Clarksburg/Fairmont ("Clarksburg") and Morgantown, West Virginia, for a combined annual subsidy of $5,968,744 ($2,512,494 for Beckley; $3,456,250 for Clarksburg and Morgantown), for the two-year period beginning when the carrier begins full EAS at all three communities.
- Raleigh County Memorial Airport, official site
- Aerial image as of April 1996 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for BKW, effective June 25, 2015
- Resources for this airport: