Ralph C. S. Walker
Ralph C. S. Walker
Ralph Walker during a speech in 2012
|Born||June 2, 1944|
|Alma mater||McGill University|
Balliol College, Oxford
|Kantianism · Ancient Philosophy · Coherence Theory of Truth · Moral Philosophy|
Walker received his secondary education at Aberdeen Grammar School, Selwyn House School and Trinity College School. He was then educated at McGill and Oxford, where he was a Rhodes Scholar at Balliol College, before entering academia as a fellow at Merton College in 1968. He moved to Magdalen in 1972, where he has worked since. From 1993-2003 he was a delegate to Oxford University Press and from 2000-2006 he was Head of the Humanities Division at Oxford, one of the most senior posts at the University. In 2009, he retired from the position of Vice-President of Magdalen College. Until his retirement from the position of Senior Tutor in Philosophy at Magdalen in 2012, he lectured in the Faculty of Philosophy, normally on Kant. Upon his retirement, he has been made an Emeritus Fellow of Magdalen College.
Roger Scruton called Walker's book Kant “clear and scholarly” and the “‘positive’ rejoinder" to the “‘objective’ interpretation" of Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, The Bounds of Sense, by P. F. Strawson, who had already been at Magdalen when Walker started his work there and remained a fellow until 1987. Walker's most recent book, Kant and the Moral Law, was released in 1998 and has been translated into a number of languages. Apart from focusing on Kant, Walker has also made contributions to the Coherence Theory of Truth.
- A Selective Bibliography on Kant. Oxford: Sub-Faculty of Philosophy, 1975. ISBN 978-0905740041
- Kant. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1978. ISBN 978-0710089946
- Kant on Pure Reason. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. ISBN 978-0198750567
- The Coherence Theory of Truth: Realism, Anti-Realism, Idealism. London: Routledge, 1989. ISBN 978-0415018685
- The Real in the Ideal: Berkeley's Relation to Kant. New York; London: Garland, 1989. ISBN 978-0824024475
- Kant: Kant and the Moral Law. London: Phoenix, 1998. ISBN 978-0753801963
- Finnish translation by Heikki Eskelinen: Kant : Kant ja moraalilaki. Helsinki: Otava, 2000. ISBN 978-9511161813
- French translation by Ghislain Chaufour: Kant.: La loi morale. Paris: Seuil, 2000. ISBN 978-2020374521
- Greek translation: Kant : Καντ. Enalios, 2006. ISBN 978-9605360801
- Hebrew translation by Orah Gringard: קאנט. Tel-Aviv: Yediʻot aḥaronot: Sifre ḥemed, 2001. ISBN 9789655110050
- Polish translation by Jacek Hołówka: Kant : prawo moralne. Warszawa: Amber, 1998. ISBN 978-8371697975
- Portuguese translation: Kant: kant e a lei moral. São Paulo Unesp, 1999. ISBN 978-8571392465
- Spanish translation by Andrés Lema-Hincapié: Kant y la ley moral. Barcelona: Norma, 1999. ISBN 978-9580452300
- ‘The Status of Kant's Theory of Matter’, Synthese 23:1 (Aug., 1971), pp. 121–126.
- ‘Spinoza and the Coherence Theory of Truth’, Mind 94:373 (Jan., 1985), pp. 1–18.
- ‘Verificationism, Anti-Realism and Idealism’, European Journal of Philosophy 3:3 (1995), pp. 257–272.
- ‘Kant, Duty, and Moral Worth’, International Philosophical Quarterly 42:2 (2002), pp. 265–267.
- ‘Kant on the Number of Worlds, British Journal for the History of Philosophy 18:5 (2011), pp. 821–843.
- Scruton, Roger (2001). Kant: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0192801999.