|Member of the North Carolina Senate
from the 47th district
2011 – present
August 15, 1976 |
Mitchell County, North Carolina
|Alma mater||Appalachian State University, North Carolina State University|
Ralph E. Hise, Jr. (born August 15, 1976) is an American politician. A member of the Republican Party, he represents District 47 in the North Carolina Senate. Hise joined the Senate in 2011 after winning election on November 2, 2010. He is from Spruce Pine, North Carolina.
Early life and career
Hise is a native of Mitchell County, North Carolina. He attended Mitchell High School, before graduating from the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics. He received a B.S. in statistics from Appalachian State University before going on to complete a Masters in Education in higher education administration from North Carolina State University. He is a statistician by trade, and is currently serving as the Coordinator of Special Projects at Mayland Community College in Spruce Pine, North Carolina.
Hise is a member of the Education/Higher Education Committee, the Pensions & Retirement and Aging Committee, the Program Evaluation Committee, the Redistricting Committee, and the Transportation Committee. He also serves as the Co-Chair of the Senate Health and Human Services Appropriation Committee and the Vice- Chairman of the Insurance Committee.
He has also served on several non-standing committees including serving as the Chairman of the Efficiencies in State Government Committee, and as a member of the Joint Legislative Commission on Governmental Operations, the Joint Legislative Oversight Committee on Information Technology, the Joint Legislative Program Evaluation Oversight Committee, the Property Insurance Rate Making Committee, the Retirement Benefits for Teachers and State Employees Committee, and the Joint Legislative Transportation Oversight Committee.
In 2017, a North Carolina activist filed two complaints with the North Carolina Board of Elections. The complaints accused Hise of allegedly committing a variety of campaign finance violations. As of 2018, the North Carolina Board of Elections had not commented on the matter.
Hise lives in Spruce Pine with his wife Linn and twin four-year-old sons, Thomas and Deren, and attends Abundant Life Outreach Church.
- "Ralph Hise". Ballotpedia. Retrieved 2018-06-04.
- "Paid for by Ralph Hise for NC Senate | Treasurer, Shirley Hise". Ralphhise.com. Retrieved 2018-06-04.
- NC General Assembly webmasters. "North Carolina General Assembly". Ncleg.net. Retrieved 2018-06-04.
- Roberts, Brandon (May 17, 2017). "State Senator facing allegations of violating NC disclosure laws". Mitchell News Journal. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- Jarvis, Craig (May 9, 2017). "Watchdog group calls on Sen. Hise to recuse himself over campaign finance accusations". The News & Observer. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- Killian, Joe (February 8, 2018). "Elections/Ethics board still silent on Hise investigation; Senator reports spending campaign funds on lawyers, accountants". North Carolina Policy Watch. Retrieved 4 June 2018.