Ralph Johnson (musician)
Johnson, left, performing with Earth Wind and Fire in 2007
|Born||July 4, 1951|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Genres||R&B, funk, soul, jazz|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, producer, singer, songwriter|
|Instruments||Vocals, drums, percussions, keyboards, drum machine|
|Associated acts||Earth, Wind & Fire|
|Website||Ralph Johnson on Myspace|
|Oral History, Ralph Johnson shares how he met Maurice White and joined Earth, Wind and Fire. Interview date September 2, 2014, NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants) Oral History Library|
Early music performances
Born and raised in Los Angeles, from an early age Johnson developed a fascination for all things jazz. At eight years old he went on to receive his first drumming lesson. He later went on to join local bands "The Teen Turbans" and "The Masters Children".
Earth, Wind and Fire
During 1971 Johnson successfully auditioned as a drummer for another band. This one was led by a Chicago musician known as Maurice White and called Earth, Wind & Fire. With Johnson in tow the band went on to achieve monumental commercial and critical success. He later went on to be inducted as a member of Earth, Wind and Fire into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame during 2000.
- "Ralph Johnson (Credits)". Allmusic.com.
- "Earth, Wind & Fire's Ralph Johnson". Modern Drummer.com.
- "Ralph Johnson". NAMM.org.
- "Earth, Wind & Fire". Rockhall.com.
- "Blue Magic: Message From The Music". 45worlds.com.
- "Stanley Turrentine: Tender Togetherness". allmusic.com.
- "The Temptations: Truly For You". 45worlds.com.
- "Howard Hewett: Howard Hewett Christmas". allmusic.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ralph Johnson (musician).|