Ralph Metzner PhD (born May 18 1936, in Germany) is an American psychologist, writer and researcher, who participated in psychedelic research at Harvard University in the early 1960s with Timothy Leary and Richard Alpert (later named Ram Dass). Metzner is a psychotherapist, and Professor Emeritus of psychology at the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco, where he was formerly the Academic Dean and Academic Vice-president.
Metzner has been involved in consciousness research, including psychedelics, yoga, meditation and shamanism for over 45 years. He is a co-founder and President of the Green Earth Foundation, a non-profit educational organization devoted to healing and harmonizing the relationship between humans and the Earth, and a signatory to the 9/11 Truth Statement. Metzner was featured in the 2006 film Entheogen: Awakening the Divine Within, a documentary about rediscovering an enchanted cosmos in the modern world.
He conducts workshops on consciousness transformation and alchemical divination, both nationally and internationally. He is also a poet and singer-songwriter and has produced two CDs with Kit Walker: A spoken word CD ("Spirit Soundings," with music by Kit Walker) and one music CD of original songs ("Bardo Blues").
He received his Ph.D in Psychology from Harvard.
- Metzner, Ralph (2013). The Toad and the Jaguar: A Field Report of Underground Research on a Visionary Medicine: Bufo Alvarius And 5-Methoxy-dimethyltryptamine (paperback ed.). Berkeley, CA: Green Earth Foundation & Regent Press. ISBN 978-1587902543.
- Metzner, Ralph (2010). Birth of a Psychedelic Culture: Conversations about Leary, the Harvard Experiments, Millbrook and the Sixties (paperback ed.). Santa Fe, NM: Synergetic Press. ISBN 978-0-907791-38-6.
- Metzner, Ralph (2009). Mind Space Time Stream (paperback ed.). Berkeley, CA: Green Earth Foundation & Regent Press. ISBN 978-1-58790-172-0.
- Metzner, Ralph (2009). Alchemical Divination (paperback ed.). Berkeley, CA: Green Earth Foundation & Regent Press. ISBN 978-1-58790-162-1.
- Metzner, Ralph (2008). The Roots of War and Domination (paperback ed.). Berkeley, CA: Green Earth Foundation & Regent Press. ISBN 978-1-58790-150-8.
- Metzner, Ralph (2008). The Expansion of Consciousness (paperback ed.). Berkeley, CA: Green Earth Foundation & Regent Press. ISBN 978-1-58790-147-8.
- Sacred Vine of Spirits: Ayahuasca (paperback ed.). Rochester, VT: Park Street Press. 2006. ISBN 1-59477-053-0.
- Sacred Mushroom of Visions: Teonanacatl (paperback ed.). Rochester, VT: Park Street Press. 2005. ISBN 1-59477-044-1.
- Green Psychology – Transforming our Relationship to the Earth (paperback ed.). Rochester, VT: Park Street Press. 1999. ISBN 0-89281-798-4.
- The Unfolding Self: Varieties of Transformative Experience (rev. ed. of Opening to Inner Light ed.). Novato, CA: Origin Press. 1998. ISBN 1-57983-000-5.
- The Well of Remembrance: Rediscovering the Earth Wisdom Myths of Northern Europe. Boston: Shambhala. 1994. ISBN 1-57062-028-8.
- Opening to Inner Light: The Transformation of Human Nature and Consciousness. Los Angeles: J.P. Tarcher. 1986. ISBN 0-87477-354-7.
- (1979). Know Your Type: Maps of Identity (Anchor Press; 1st edition) ISBN 0-385-13162-3
- Maps of Consciousness: I Ching, Tantra, Tarot, Alchemy, Astrology, Actualism (paperback ed.). New York: Collier Books. 1971. ISBN 0-02-077400-1.
- Leary, Timothy; Ralph Metzner, and Richard Alpert (1992) . The Psychedelic Experience: A Manual Based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead (paperback ed.). New York: Citadel Press. ISBN 0-8065-1652-6.
- 1966 – The Psychedelic Experience: A Manual Based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead (with Richard Alpert & Timothy Leary) (reissued on CD in 2003 by Folkways)
- 2006 – Bardo Blues – and Other Songs of Liberation (with Kit Walker) Music CD (Green Earth Foundation)
- 2009 – Cognition Factor (2009)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ralph Metzner.|
|This article about a United States writer of non-fiction is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of an American psychologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|