Ranulph Neville, 1st Baron Neville
1st Baron Neville
Arms of Neville: Gules, a saltire argent
|Born||18 October 1262|
|Died||c. 18 April 1331 (aged 68)|
|Resting place||Coverham Abbey, Yorkshire|
Margery de Thwenge
|Children||Ralph Neville, 2nd Baron Neville (among others)|
|Parent(s)||Robert de Neville|
He was the eldest son of Robert de Neville (who predeceased his own father) by his wife Mary FitzRanulf, one of the three daughters and co-heiresses of Ralph FitzRanulf (d.1270) of Middleham Castle in Yorkshire. Ranulph was heir to his grandfather Sir Robert de Neville (d.1282) of Raby.
Marriages & progeny
Neville married twice:
- Firstly to Euphemia de Clavering, daughter and heiress of John de Clavering of Warkworth Castle in Northumberland. Her effigy survives in St Mary's Church, Staindrop. By his wife he had fourteen children including:
- Robert Neville (c. 1287 – June 1319), the "Peacock of the North", eldest son and heir apparent who predeceased his father, having been slain in a border fray outside the walls of Berwick by James 'The Good', Lord of Douglas (c.1290–1330). His cross-legged crusader-style effigy survives in St Brandon's Church, Brancepeth;
- Ralph Neville, 2nd Baron Neville (c. 1291 – 5 August 1367), eldest surviving son and heir;
- Sir Alexander Neville (d. 15 March 1367);
- John Neville (d. 19 July 1333) who died ath the Battle of Halidon Hill;
- Thomas Neville (c. 1306 - before June 1349), Archdeacon of Durham.
- Anastasia Neville (c.1285), wife of Sir Walter Fauconberg (d. 24 June 1314) who died at the Battle of Bannockburn);
- Mary Neville;
- Ida Neville;
- Eupheme Neville.
- Secondly he married Margery de Thwenge, daughter of John de Thwenge and Joan de Mauley.
Death & burial
- 'Parishes: Middleham', in A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 1, ed. William Page (London, 1914), pp. 251-257
- FitzHerbert, R.H.C (1886). "Original pedigree of Tailbois and Neville." The Genealogist, 3, pp. 31. Walford Dakin Selby, Ed. London
- Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Volume 40 Neville, Ralph de, by James Tait 
- FitzHerbert, R.H.C (1886). "Original pedigree of Tailbois and Neville." The Genealogist, 3, pp. 31. Walford Dakin Selby, Ed. London (or perhaps daughter of Robert fitz Roger of Clavering (5th Baron of Warkworth & Clavering) and Margaret la Zouche, daughter of Alan la Zouche (source needed)
- See image
- Tait, DNB "the Earl of Douglas" (sic)
- Tait, DNB
- Cokayne, G.E.; Doubleday, H.A. & Howard de Walden, Lord, eds. (1936). The Complete Peerage. 9 (2nd ed.). London: St. Catherine Press. p. 497.
- Fitz Herbert, Reginald H.C. (1886). "Original Pedigree of Tailbois and Neville" (PDF). In Walford Dakin Selby (ed.). The Genealogist. New Series. 3. London: George Bell and Sons. p. 34.
- Richardson, D. (2011). Kimball G. Everingham (ed.). Magna Carta Ancestry (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City.
- Tuck, Anthony (2004). "Neville, Ralph, fourth Lord Neville (c. 1291–1367)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online). doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/19950.
- Young, Charles R. (1996). The Making of the Neville Family, 1166–1400. Woodbridge: Boydell Press. ISBN 978-0-85115-668-2.
|Peerage of England|
|New creation|| Baron Neville
|This biography of a baron or baroness in the Peerage of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|