Ralph of Irton
|Ralph of Irton|
|Bishop of Carlisle|
|Elected||14 December 1278|
|Term ended||1 March 1292|
|Predecessor||William de Rotherfeld|
|Successor||John de Halton|
|Other posts||Prior of Gisborough|
|Consecration||before 9 April 1280|
|Died||1 March 1292
Ralph of Irton (or Ralph de Ireton or Ralph Ireton; died 1292) was a medieval Bishop of Carlisle.
Ralph was a canon of Gisborough Priory, an Augustinian foundation, sometime before 1257. Between 1257 and 1261 he was elected prior of Gisborough. He was elected to the see of Carlisle on 14 December 1278. However, King Edward I of England objected to the election because no new licence had been obtained from the king after William de Rotherfeld refused the see. Ralph appealed to Pope Nicholas III and the election was quashed, however Nicholas then provided Ralph to the see and he was consecrated before 9 April 1280.
Ralph imposed taxation in his diocese to secure the completion of Carlisle Cathedral. He also served Edward as a diplomat in the negotiations over the proposed marriage of the future Edward II to Margaret, the Maid of Norway, which never came to pass after Margaret's death soon after the marriage was arranged. Ralph died on 1 March 1292 while attending a parliament at London, from a burst vein. His will provided that most of his belongings be left to his successors at Carlisle. He was buried in Carlisle Cathedral, but his tomb was destroyed soon after his burial by a fire in the cathedral.
- Summerson "Irton, Ralph of" Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Greenway Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1066-1300: Volume 2: Monastic Cathedrals (Northern and Southern Provinces): Carlisle: Bishops
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 235
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third revised ed.). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Greenway, Diana E. (1977). Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1066–1300: Volume 2: Monastic Cathedrals (Northern and Southern Provinces): Carlisle: Bishops. Institute of Historical Research. Retrieved 20 October 2007.
- Summerson, Henry (2004). "Irton , Ralph of (d. 1292)" ((subscription or UK public library membership required)). Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/14454. Retrieved 20 November 2007.
|Catholic Church titles|
William de Rotherfeld
|Bishop of Carlisle
John de Halton