Ramón Rodríguez (actor)
December 20, 1979 |
Río Piedras, Puerto Rico
Ramón Rodríguez (born December 20, 1979) is a Puerto Rican actor known for his roles on the television series The Wire (2006–08) and Day Break (2006–07), and in the films Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) and The Taking of Pelham 123 (2009). He portrayed John Bosley on the short-lived ABC television reboot of Charlie's Angels (2011). In 2014, Rodríguez starred as Ryan Lopez on the Fox crime drama television series Gang Related.
Life and career
Rodríguez was born in Puerto Rico and grew up on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. He attended New York City Lab School for Collaborative Studies, and went on to attend The Leelanau School in Michigan, where he played basketball during his final two years. He continued playing basketball for another two years at Wheeling Jesuit University in West Virginia, before transferring to New York University from which he earned his degree in sports marketing.
Rodríguez began his career in 2005 with the role of Ángel Rodríguez in the direct-to-video film Carlito's Way: Rise to Power and the recurring role of Kevin Vasquez on two episodes of Rescue Me. He went on to appear on series such as Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Day Break, and The Wire. He has also appeared in the films Bella (2006), Pride and Glory (2008), Surfer, Dude (2008), The Taking of Pelham 123 (2009), and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009). Rodríguez was cast as John Bosley for the television reboot of Charlie's Angels in 2011. The series was cancelled after four episodes had aired.
In 2013, he landed the lead role on the Fox crime drama series Gang Related, portraying Ryan Lopez, the adopted son of a crime lord who infiltrates the Los Angeles Police Department so his family can keep ahead of the law. The series began in 2014, but was ultimately cancelled after one season. Rodríguez then co-starred as Joe "Beasty" Peck, with Aaron Paul, in the action film Need for Speed. In 2016, Rodríguez co-starred opposite Vera Farmiga and Virginia Madsen in the adventure drama film Burn Your Maps, directed by Jordan Roberts. In 2017, he co-starred as Matt Morales in the drama biopic Megan Leavey, alongside Kate Mara, who played US Marine Megan Leavey. Also that year, he played a role in the Netflix series Iron Fist.
|2005||Carlito's Way: Rise to Power||Ángel Rodríguez||Direct-to-video|
|2006||The Wannabe||David||Short film|
|2006||Ira and Abby||Julio|
|2008||Surfer, Dude||Lupe La Rosa|
|2008||Pride and Glory||Ángel Tezo|
|2009||The Taking of Pelham 123||Delgado|
|2009||Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen||Leo Spitz||Nominated – ALMA Award for Best Actor in Film|
|2011||Battle: Los Angeles||William Martinez|
|2014||Need for Speed||Joe "Beasty" Peck|
|2016||Burn Your Maps||Batbayar|
|2017||Megan Leavey||Matt Morales|
|2005||Rescue Me||Kevin Vasquez||2 episodes|
|2006||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||DJ Manny||Episode: "Infected"|
|2006–07||Day Break||Damien Ortiz||Main role; 11 episodes|
|2006–08||The Wire||Renaldo||Recurring role; 8 episodes|
|2007||Nurses||Patrick De Leon||Unsold pilot|
|2009||Exit 19||Ramón||Unsold pilot|
|2011||Charlie's Angels||John Bosley||Recurring role; 8 episodes|
|2014||Gang Related||Ryan Lopez||Main role; 13 episodes|
|2017||Marvel's Iron Fist||Bakuto||Main role; 5 episodes|
|2017||Marvel's The Defenders||Bakuto||Recurring role|
|2015||Battlefield Hardline||Marty, Bank Robber||Voice|
|2016||Homefront: The Revolution||Angelo||Voice and motion capture|
- Marx, Linda (August 26, 2011). "Minka Kelly & Ramon Rodriguez: Close Costars?". People.
- "'Transformers' does the trick for Ramon Rodriguez". USA Today. July 12, 2009.
- Shattuck, Kathryn (May 2, 2014). "Ramon Rodriguez of 'Gang Related' Talks About Father Figures". The New York Times.
- Andreeva, Nellie (February 10, 2011). "Charlie's Angels Pilot Finds Its Bosley". TVLine.
- "Charlie's Angels Casts Transformers Alum as Bosley". TV Guide. Retrieved February 16, 2011.
- de Moraes, Lisa (October 14, 2011). "ABC cancels 'Charlie's Angels'". The Washington Post.
- Hibberd, James (February 19, 2013). "Ramon Rodriguez lands starring role in Fox pilot". Entertainment Weekly.
- Klompus, Jack (September 3, 2014). "Gang Related cancelled by Fox after one season". Digital Spy.
- Rivera, Zayda (March 7, 2014). "Ramon Rodriguez kicks his career to the next gear in 'Need for Speed'". New York Daily News.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (October 16, 2015). "Ramon Rodriguez Reports For Duty In Iraq War Hero Pic 'Megan Leavey'". Deadline.com.