Ram Charan (consultant)
1939 (age 78–79)|
Uttar Pradesh, India
Indian Institute of Technology (BHU) Varanasi|
Harvard Business School
|Occupation||business consultant, speaker, and writer|
Charan has consulted for companies such as GE, KLM, Bank of America, Praxair and Jaypee Associates. He is the author of various books on business, including Talent Masters, Leaders At All Levels', Leadership in the Era of Economic Uncertainty: The New Rules for Getting the Right Things Done in Difficult Times, Boards That Deliver, What The CEO Wants You To Know, Boards At Work, Every Business Is A Growth Business (with Noel Tichy), Profitable Growth Is Everyone's Business, Confronting Reality, Know How and Execution (with Larry Bossidy and Charles Burck), which was a best-seller.
Charan runs his business management consulting company under the name Charan Associates in Dallas, TX. Records show the company was established in 1981 and incorporated in Texas. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $500,000 to $1 million and employs a staff of approximately 1 to 4. Charan sits on the board for Austin Industries, SSA & Company (formerly Six Sigma Academy), and TE Connectivity.
Charan partnered with Kevin R. Cope and Stephen M.R. Covey to form Acumen Learning. Acumen Learning and Ram Charan have an agreement to use the concepts in his book: "What the CEO Wants You to Know". Ram has helped to define and popularize the idea of business acumen being an essential leadership characteristic in management.
In November 2012, Dr. Ram Charan, along with Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev guided "Insight; the DNA of Success" a leadership program bringing together, for the first time, the tools of professional and personal empowerment. Fortune magazine calls him 'the most influential consultant alive'. The 4-day program held at the Isha Yoga Center, saw 200 business leaders converge in an exploration that bridged spirituality and business.
Charan was elected a Fellow of the National Academy of Human Resources in 2000 and named a Distinguished Fellow in 2005. Charan was in India in the month of February 2010 to give a presentation to around 400 Indian CEOs.
- JK Lakshmipat University Laureate Award,26 September 2017
- The American Society for Training & Development (ASTD) presented Ram Charan with its Champion of Workplace Learning and Performance Award on May 17, 2010.
- The Economic Times of India named Ram Charan Global Indian of the Year for 2010.
- Thinkers 50.
- http://www.iitbhu.ac.in/tpo/info/why-at-iit-bhu-varanasi/#!/view/ Archived 2015-06-26 at the Wayback Machine.#adv-alumni/
- P Jayaraman - Management Gurus 2009 p93 "An Indian-American based in Dallas, Texas State in the U.S., Ram Charan was born in Uttar Pradesh in India in 1939. ... He was raised in modest circumstances, part of a joint family of 13 that ran a shoe shop where he had worked as a .."
- Man of Mystery, Jennifer Reingold, Fast Company, #78 (February 2004), p. 78 ff.
- "Charan Associates Company Info".
- "Six Sigma Academy now known as SSA & Company".
- "Tyco Electronics Board of Directors".
- "Business Acumen".
- Charan, Ram. "Sharpening Your Business Acumen",strategy+business, Spring 2006.
- "ASTD Award Press Release" (PDF).
- "The Times of India". The Times Of India ET Awards: Global Indian of the year- Ram Charan. January 6, 2010. Jan 6, 2010 "MUMBAI: When Ram Charan speaks, Fortune 100 CEOs listen. Literally. Ever since he gave up teaching more than three decades ago to "do something that's useful to business people", Charan has built a reputation as a one-man CEO consulting industry."
- Ram Charan, 2009, Leadership in the Era of Economic Uncertainty: The New Rules for Getting the Right Things Done in Difficult Times, McGraw-Hill Professional. ISBN 978-0-07-162616-3
- The Talent Masters:Why Smart Leaders Put People Before Numbers (November 9, 2010)
- Owning Up: The 14 Questions Every Board Member Needs to Ask (April 13, 2009)
- Leadership in the Era of Economic Uncertainty: The New Rules for Getting the Right Things Done in Difficult Times (December 22, 2008)
- The Game-Changer: How You Can Drive Revenue and Profit Growth with Innovation (April 8, 2008)
- Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't (2007)
- Leaders at All Levels: Deepening Your Talent Pool to Solve the Succession Crisis (December 21, 2007)
- What the Customer Wants You to Know (December 27, 2007)
- Boards That Deliver: Advancing Corporate Governance From Compliance to Competitive Advantage (2005)
- The Source of Success: Five Enduring Principles at the Heart of Real Leadership (2005)
- Confronting Reality: Doing What Matters to Get Things Right (2004)
- Profitable Growth Is Everyone's Business: 10 Tools You Can Use Monday Morning (2004)
- Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done (2002)
- What the CEO Wants You to Know : How Your Company Really Works (2001)
- The Leadership Pipeline: How to Build the Leadership Powered Company (2000)
- Every Business is a Growth Business: How Your Company Can Prosper Year After Year (2000)