Charan at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport in May 2015.
|Born||Konidela Ram Charan Tej|
|Residence||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|Relatives||Pawan Kalyan (uncle)
Nagendra Babu (uncle)
Varun Tej (cousin)
Niharika Konidela (Cousin)
Sai Dharam Tej (cousin)
Allu Arjun (cousin)
Allu Sirish (cousin)
Renu Desai (ex-aunt)
Anna Lezhneva (aunt)
Ram Charan is an Indian film actor and entrepreneur, who works in Telugu cinema. He won two state Nandi Awards, two Filmfare Awards South, two CineMAA Awards, and one Santosham Best Actor Award. Ram Charan was ranked #69 in 2013 India's Forbes list with an earnings of ₹12.67 crore (US$1.9 million).
Ram Charan is born to Telugu actor Chiranjeevi and Surekha. He has two sisters. He is the grandson of Allu Rama Lingaiah and the nephew of Nagendra Babu, Pawan Kalyan, and Allu Aravind.He is the cousin of Sachin Rana,Varun Tej and Sai Dharam Tej. Charan got engaged to Upasana Kamineni, the vice-chairman of Apollo Charity and chief editor of B Positive magazine, in Hyderabad on 1 December 2011. Upasana is the granddaughter of Prathap C. Reddy, the Executive Chairman of the Apollo Hospitals. Subsequently, they got married on 14 June 2012 at the Temple Trees Farm House.
Non film work
In 2007, Ram Charan made his film debut as the leading man in the film Chirutha which was directed by Puri Jagannadh and completed 50 Days in 178 direct centres and 15 other shifted centres.The film completed 100 Days in 40 direct centres. He played the role of Charan, an ex-convict who is hellbent on killing the murderer of his father. Rediff.com praised his performance stating "Ram Charan is quite promising. Dance and action appear to be forte. He is rather graceful in the dance numbers. He also stays clear of any oblique reference to his star father by way of dialogue or adopting any particular mannerism or style." His performance in the film earned him a Filmfare Best South Debutant Award and Nandi Special Jury Award.
After the release of the 2009 blockbuster Magadheera, which was only his second film,directed by S.S.Rajamouli Charan established himself as one of the leading contemporary actors of Tollywood. He played a Dual role in this film in which one is a Brave Soldier of a kingdom in Rajasthan in the 17th century who is in love with the princess but however loses her and dies, the other being a bike racer who falls in love with a girl who is the re-incarnation of the princess and wins her knowing their past. His portrayal got immense critical acclaim. The Times of India wrote "Ram Charan returns as a valiant soldier and breathes life into the larger-than-life role with ease. He showcases his horse-riding and dancing skills to perfection." IndiaGlitz commented "Charan has come up with a mature performance and he has carried the film very well. Both his characters were done good justice and he reminded of his father at many places." Directed by S. S. Rajamouli, the film received six Filmfare Awards including the award for Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Telugu and Nandi Special Jury Award for Charan. In 2009, he became a spokesperson for Pepsi's advertisement campaigns.
Charan starred in Bommarillu Bhaskar's Orange in 2010. He played the role of Ram, an NRI living in Australia whose opinions are against loving forever. IndiaGlitz wrote "Ram Charan gave an excellent performance all through the film. His attire, make up, dressing style, accessories and body language gives the audiences a fresh feel of an urbane guy. He improved a lot in all the departments including action, dances, dialogue modulation, body language."
His next film was Rachcha directed by Sampath Nandi. He did the role of Betting Raj, a gambler whose life takes a toll on him. IndiaGlitz wrote " He shows flashes of Chiru-ness more than he ever did in the past; be it his baritone or demeanour, he is a Megastar in effect. Helped by a strong script, he could have been much better." The film released on 5 April 2012 and was declared a commercial success.
His first release in 2013 was Naayak directed by V. V. Vinayak. He played another dual role, one a mafia leader in Kolkata and the other a simple software employee in Hyderabad. The Times of India wrote "Ram Charan did a great job though there was no variation shown between the two characters." It opened to positive critical acclaim and became a commercial success.
Charan made his Bollywood debut through Zanjeer, a remake of the 1973 film of the same name. He played the role of ACP Vijay Khanna who swears Vengeance on his parents' killer. The Hindustan Times said that Charan acted with "only two expressions". Charan made his debut as a playback singer with the song "Mumbai Ke Hero", composed by Chirantan Bhatt, in the album Thoofan, the Telugu version of Zanjeer.
In his next Telugu film, Yevadu (2014) directed by Vamsi Paidipally, he plays two characters, one who has received a face transplant of the other and becomes the target of underworld gangs because of the mistaken identity. Bangalore Mirror wrote "For Ram Charan, Yevadu is essential to establish his status after Toofan tanked at the box office. His character has two shades and he tries his best to bring variations. He dances like there is no tomorrow and the choreography is a delight to watch." Sify wrote "Compared to his earlier films - Nayak and Thoofan, Ram Charan has done a fairly good job here. His acting is effective in intense scenes and action episode. To satisfy his audiences, he has also done some good steps in the Freedom song." Charan's next release in the same year was the family drama Govindudu Andarivadele. The film opened to mostly positive reviews from critics and grossed over Rs.40 crores at the box office.
He is currently shooting for a project titled Bruce Lee under Srinu Vaitla's direction, slated to release in October 2015 . He is also scheduled to appear in his uncle Pawan Kalyan's production. He is named as the producer of a film under the direction of Puri Jagannadh which will star his father.
Now one more time he is checking luck in Bollywood with the movie of M. S. Dhoni: The Untold Story. This movie directed by Neeraj Pandey and Produced by Neeraj Pandey. with co stars like Sushant Singh Rajput,John Abraham,this was releasing on 2016
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2009||Magadheera||Kala Bhairava / Harsha||Telugu|
|2013||Naayak||Charan (Cherry) / Siddharth Naayak||Telugu|
|ACP Vijay Khanna||Hindi
|2014||Yevadu||Charan / Satya||Telugu|
|2014||Govindudu Andarivadele||Abhi Ram||Telugu|
|2015||Bruce Lee||Bruce Lee||Telugu|
Awards and recognition
|2007||Nandi Awards||Special Jury Award||Chirutha||Won|
|2007||CineMAA Awards||Best Male Debut||Chirutha||Won|
|2007||Filmfare Awards South||Best Male Debut – South||Chirutha||Won|
|2009||Nandi Awards||Special Jury Award||Magadheera||Won|
|2009||Filmfare Awards South||Best Actor – Telugu||Magadheera||Won|
|2009||CineMAA Awards||Best Actor – Male||Magadheera||Won|
|2009||Santosham Film Awards||Best Actor||Magadheera||Won|
|2009||South Scope Cine Awards||Best Actor||Magadheera||Won|
|2012||Filmfare Awards South||Best Actor – Telugu||Racha||Nominated|
|2012||South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Actor – Telugu||Racha||Nominated|
|2013||TSR – TV9 National Film Awards||Best Actor||Naayak||Won|
|2013||Filmfare Awards South||Best Actor – Telugu||Naayak||Nominated|
|2013||South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Actor – Telugu||Naayak||Nominated|
|2015||Santosham Film Awards||Best Actor||Govindudu Andarivadele||Won|
- "Ram Charan: The Cherry of South Indian films Industry".
- "Pawan Kalyan tops Forbes list in Tollywood - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Nothing will change the person I am, says Upasana Kamineni". andhrabuzz.com/. Retrieved 25 Nov 2011.
- "Ram Charan marries Upasana date=14 June 2012". The Times of India.
- Arts / Cinema : Horsing around. The Hindu (4 September 2011). Retrieved on 26 April 2012.
- Abhishek Raje Ram Charan Tej's polo team wins its debut match. The Times of India. 3 September 2011. Retrieved on 3 August 2011
- "Board of Directors". www.maatv.com. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "New airline, coming soon: Chiranjeevi's son Ram Charan on cloud 9; gives Hyderabad a flying gift"
- "Ram Charan’s record remains untouched even after 7 years". DailyIndia.org.
- "Chirutha: Watch it for Ram Charan". Rediff.com. Retrieved 29 September 2007.
- Ram Charan Teja | Awards & Nominations | National Awards | Nandi Awards | Filmfare Award | MAA TV Cine Awards. Popcorn.oneindia.in. Retrieved on 26 April 2012.
- "Magadheera movie review". The Times of India. Retrieved 2 August 2009.
- "Magadheera - Royal and spellbinding". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 31 July 2009.
- Tollywood’s report card of 2009 – Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (27 December 2009). Retrieved on 26 April 2012.
- Filmfare Awards 2009: Magadheera Steals the show – Telugu Movie News. IndiaGlitz (9 August 2010). Retrieved on 26 April 2012.
- The new Pepsi Brand Ambassador – Ram Charan Teja – Telugu Movie News. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 15 July 2011.
- "Orange - A truly different concept in love". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 26 November 2010.
- "Racha - Racha means pomp and show". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 5 April 2012.
- Racha breaks Businessman, Oosaravelli opening day records – Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (6 April 2012). Retrieved on 26 April 2012.
- "Nayak Telugu movie review highlights". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- Racha collects Rs. 26.92 cr. in AP, Karnataka – Telugu Movie News. IndiaGlitz (12 April 2012). Retrieved on 26 April 2012.
- Anupama Chopra (Sep 7, 2013). "Anupama Chopra's review: Zanjeer, a ramshackle remake". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 26 June 2015.
- "Movie Review: Yevadu". Bangalore Mirror. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- "Movie Review: Yevadu". Sify.com. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- *Ram Charan new film news"
- "Uncle Nephew Team Up". Times Of India Retrieved 01.03.2015
- "OFFICIAL: Ram Charan Confirms Chiranjeevi 150 With Puri Jagannadh Filmibeat"
- "Ram Charan's RC 9 teaser released on Chiranjeevi’s birthday".
- "'RC 9 trailer': Chiranjeevi and son Ram Charan Teja’s gift to their fans".
- "Nandi awards 2007 announced". idlebrain.com. 2008-01-12.
- "NTR bags Filmfare award - Telugu Movie News". IndiaGlitz.com.
- "Nandi awards 2009 announced". idlebrain.com. 2010-10-07.
- "Filmfare Awards winners". The Times of India. 2010-08-09.
- Santosham Awards 2015 (winners list): Ram Charan bags the Best actor Award !
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ram Charan.|