Aag (2007 film)
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2015)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015)|
|Directed by||Ram Gopal Varma|
|Produced by||Ram Gopal Varma|
|Screenplay by||Rahil Qazi|
|Edited by||Amit Parmar
Nipun Ashok Gupta
RGV Film Factory
Aag is a 2007 Bollywood action drama film directed by Ram Gopal Varma. The film was an unofficial remake of the 1975 film Sholay.Delhi High Court slapped a fine of Rs. 10 lakh on film maker Ram Gopal Varma for the “deliberate act” of copyright infringement and passing off of the 1975 blockbuster, Sholay. The remake features Amitabh Bachchan, Mohanlal, Ajay Devgan, Prashant Raj Sachdev, Sushmita Sen and J. D. Chakravarthy. The film received negative reviews upon release.
Nasik-based Heerendra Dhaan (Ajay Devgan) and Raj Ranade (Prashant Raj Sachdev) are bodyguards of a politician but, after their employer is implicated in a scam, they end up assaulting a police officer and flee to Mumbai. Once there they meet with Rambhabhai (Rajpal Yadav), who in turn, gets them employed with a gangster named Shambhu. After a short while the duo are apprehended by Police Inspector Narsimha, questioned, and after they agree to cooperate to bring down Shambhu, are let go. The two succeed in assisting the police arrest Shambhu, but they themselves are arrested, tried in Court, and sentenced to a year in jail.
After their discharge they are met by Inspector Narsimha (Mohanlal), who wants to recruit them to capture and kill dreaded bandit Babban Singh (Amitabh Bachchan), who had slaughtered his wife, Kavita (Suchitra Krishnamoorthi), and son, Subbu (J.D. Chakravarthy), as well as cut his fingers off. Heerendra and Raj agree to carry out this task for 8 Lakh Rupees. They re-locate to Kaliganj where Heerendra falls in love with auto-rickshaw driver, Ghungroo (Priyanka Kothari), while Raj gives his heart to Subbu's widow, Durga (Sushmita Sen). They then set out to capture Babban and meet with some success during Diwali, but Babban manages to escape. Babban then starts to ambush and kill Kaliganj residents to compel them to surrender the duo to him. The question remains will the residents carry out Babban's wishes or will they permit themselves to be slaughtered?
- Mohanlal as Inspector Narsimha
- Ajay Devgan as Heerendra 'Heero' Dhaan
- Priyanka Kothari as Ghungroo
- Prashant Raj Sachdev as Raj Ranade
- Sushmita Sen as Durga Devi
- Amitabh Bachchan as Babban
- Rajpal Yadav as Rambhabhai
- Suchitra Krishnamoorthi as Kavita
- J. D. Chakravarthy as Subbu
- Abhishek Bachchan as Gypsy Singer (Special Appearance)
- Urmila Matondkar as Gypsy Dancer (Special Appearance)
- D. Santosh as Coolie
- "An insincere tribute to evergreen ‘Sholay’ Film Review". The Hindu.
- "Boxofficeindia.com". Boxofficeindia.com. Archived from the original on 9 November 2013. Retrieved 2012-07-12.[dead link]
- "Delhi HC imposes 10 lakh fine on Ram Gopal Varma for infringing copyright on Sholay".
- "Delhi High Court judgement on August 24, 2015" (PDF).
- "RGV KI AAG movie review : glamsham.com". glamsham.com.