Aag (2007 film)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Directed by||Ram Gopal Varma|
|Produced by||Ram Gopal Varma|
|Screenplay by||Rahil Qazi|
|Edited by||Amit Parmar
Nipun Ashok Gupta
RGV Film Factory
Aag (Fire) also known as Ram Gopal Verma Ki Aag, is a 2007 Indian action-drama film directed by Ram Gopal Varma. It was an unauthorised remake of the 1975 film Sholay. The Delhi High Court fined Ram Gopal Varma ₹10 lakh (US$15,000) for the "deliberate act" of copyright infringement and passing off of the 1975 Indian film Sholay. The remake features Amitabh Bachchan, Mohanlal, Ajay Devgan, Prashant Raj Sachdev, Sushmita Sen and J. D. Chakravarthy. The film received negative reviews upon release and performed poorly at the box office.
Nasik-based Heerendra Dhaan (Ajay Devgan) and Raj Ranade (Prashant Raj Sachdev) are bodyguards of a politician but, after their employer is implicated in a scam, they end up assaulting a police officer and flee to Mumbai. Once there they meet with Rambhabhai (Rajpal Yadav), who in turn, gets them employed with a gangster named Shambhu. After a short while the duo are apprehended by Police Inspector Narsimha, questioned, and after they agree to cooperate to bring down Shambhu, are let go. The two succeed in assisting the police arrest Shambhu, but they themselves are arrested, tried in Court, and sentenced to a year in jail.
After their discharge they are again met by Inspector Narsimha (Mohanlal), who, this time, wants to recruit them to capture and kill dreaded bandit Babban Singh (Amitabh Bachchan), who had slaughtered his wife, Kavita (Suchitra Krishnamoorthi), and son, Subbu (J.D. Chakravarthy), as well as cut his fingers off. Heerendra and Raj agree to carry out this task for 8 Lakh Rupees. They re-locate to Kaliganj where Heerendra falls in love with auto-rickshaw driver, Ghungroo (Priyanka Kothari), while Raj gives his heart to Subbu's widow, Durga (Sushmita Sen). They then set out to capture Babban and meet with some success during Diwali, but Babban manages to escape. Babban then starts to ambush and kill Kaliganj residents to compel them to surrender the duo to him. The question remains will the residents carry out Babban's wishes or will they permit themselves to be slaughtered?
- Mohanlal as Inspector Narsimha
- Ajay Devgan as Heerendra 'Heero' Dhaan
- Priyanka Kothari as Ghungroo
- Prashant Raj Sachdev as Raj Ranade
- Sushmita Sen as Durga Devi
- Amitabh Bachchan as Babban
- Rajpal Yadav as Rambhabhai
- Suchitra Krishnamoorthi as Kavita
- J. D. Chakravarthy as Subbu
- Abhishek Bachchan as Gypsy Singer (Special Appearance)
- Urmila Matondkar as Gypsy Dancer (Special Appearance)
- D. Santosh as Coolie
- Sushant Singh as Tambe
- "An insincere tribute to evergreen 'Sholay' Film Review". The Hindu.
- "Boxofficeindia.com". Boxofficeindia.com. Archived from the original on 9 November 2013. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "Delhi HC imposes 10 lakh fine on Ram Gopal Varma for infringing copyright on Sholay".
- "Delhi High Court judgement on August 24, 2015" (PDF).
- "RGV KI AAG movie review : glamsham.com". glamsham.com.