|Alma mater||University of Mumbai, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research|
|Doctoral advisor||R. Sridharan|
|Doctoral students||Sujatha Ramdorai
|Notable awards||Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award (1987)|
Raman Parimala (born 21 November 1948) is an Indian mathematician known for her contributions to algebra. She is the Arts & Sciences Distinguished Professor of mathematics at Emory University. For many years, she was a professor at Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai.
Parimala was born and raised in Tamil Nadu, India. She studied in Saradha Vidyalaya Girls' High School and Stella Maris College at Chennai. She received her M.Sc. from Madras University (1970) and Ph.D. from the University of Mumbai (1976); her advisor was R. Sridharan from TIFR.
- Failure of a quadratic analogue of Serre's conjecture, Bulletin AMS, vol. 82, 1976, pp. 962–964 MR0419427
- Quadratic spaces over polynomial extensions of regular rings of dimension 2, Mathematische Annalen, vol. 261, 1982, pp. 287–292 doi:10.1007/BF01455449
- Galois cohomology of the Classical groups over fields of cohomological dimension≦2, E Bayer-Fluckiger, R Parimala - Inventiones mathematicae, 1995 - Springer doi:10.1007/BF01231443
- Hermitian analogue of a theorem of Springer, R Parimala, R. Sridharan, V Suresh - Journal of Algebra, 2001 - Elsevier doi:10.1006/jabr.2001.8830
- Classical groups and the Hasse principle, E Bayer-Fluckiger, R Parimala - Annals of Mathematics, 1998 - jstor.org doi:10.2307/120961
Parimala was an invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Zurich in 1994 and gave a talk Study of quadratic forms — some connections with geometry. She gave a plenary address Arithmetic of linear algebraic groups over two dimensional fields at the Congress in Hyderabad in 2010.
- Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences
- Fellow of Indian National Science Academy
- Bhatnagar Award in 1987
- Honorary doctorate from the University of Lausanne in 1999
- Srinivasa Ramanujan Birth Centenary Award in 2003.
- TWAS Prize for Mathematics (2005).
- Fellow of the American Mathematical Society (2012)
- Riddle, Larry. "Raman Parimala". Biographies of Young Women Mathematicians. Agnes Scott College. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- "Math/CS". www.mathcs.emory.edu. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- "Biographies of Candidates 2015" (PDF). Notices of the AMS. American Mathematical Society. 62 (8): 940. September 2015. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- "The Mathematics Genealogy Project - Raman Parimala". www.genealogy.ams.org. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- Google scholar
- "Prizes and Awards". The World Academy of Sciences. 2016.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-05-05.