Vieira was born to Portuguese immigrants who settled in San Leandro, just east of San Francisco, California. She attended local San Leandro schools, then studied the performing arts at the American Conservatory Theater in San Francisco. Vieira said that as a young singer she had no interest in performing fado until she visited Portugal when she was 16 years old.
Vieira recorded her debut album, Sem Ti (Without You) in 2000. In 2004, she self-released a CD titled Despi a Alma (I Undressed My Soul). The album included the song Para Amar which was included in a video montage for the 2006 Winter Olympics. Vieira was among the performers who sang at the 2008 MusiCares Person of the Year ceremony. In 2009, she released the album Lagrimas De Rainha (Tears of a Queen), which (according to Vieira's press releases), reached number 43 on the World Music Radio[clarification needed] charts.
- Sem Ti (Without You), 2000, Simply Smokin' Records
- Despi a Alma (I Undressed My Soul), 2004, Ramana Vieira
- Lágrimas De Rainha (Tears of a Queen), 2009, Pacific Coast Records
- Ramana Vieira's official website
- Henderson, Alex. "Lágrimas de Rainha [Tears of a Queen]". Review. All Music Guide.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ramana Vieira.|