|Native name||Vijayalakshmi Yeedi|
5 June 1978|
Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, India
|Other names||Laksha, Lakshanika, Jaya|
|Spouse(s)||Indrakumar Pathmanathan (m.2010-present)|
Laanya (b.2011) |
Vijayalakshmi (born 5 June 1978) is an Indian film actress best known by her stage name Rambha. Throughout her career, Rambha acted in over 100 Indian films and worked across seven regional languages, while appearing alongside most of India's leading actors.
Early life and background
Rambha was born as Vijayalakshmi in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh on 5 June 1978 into a Telugu-speaking family. She did her schooling at Atkinsons Senior Secondary School, Vijayawada. While she was studying in her 7th standard, she acted as Amman for a song for her school's Annual Day competition. The event had been attended by director Hariharan who stayed in contact and later introduced her as the female lead in his film, Sargam. Her first on-screen name was Amrutha, which she later changed as Rambha after the character name in her Telugu debut movie Aa Okkati Adakku.
Rambha gave up her education aged 15 and then started her career with Hariharan's Malayalam film Sargam (1992) opposite Vineeth. The film perform well at the box office, though she was spotted by director E. V. V. Sathyanarayana who then cast her in the Telugu film Aa Okkati Adakku (1992), where she was paired opposite Rajendra Prasad. The film performed well and prompted several film offers for the actress from several different film industries across India. During the height of her career in the late 1990s, Rambha deliberately continued to pick glamorous roles to garner film offers. In successful films such as Hitler (1997) starring Chiranjeevi, Rambha appeared in roles which were inconsequential to the plot and purely depicted as the lead actor's love interest.
She started her career as a producer with help of her brother in Three Roses (2003), in which Jyothika, Laila and Rambha played the lead characters. However, the film failed at the box office and she fell heavily into debt after the film's release. She sold her house at Mount Road, Chennai in order to pay the debt, while she was also booked in a cheque-bounce case filed by the financiers of the movie.
Rambha has acted in several languages and always maintained a successful balance in Malayalam, Telugu, Tamil, Hindi, Kannada, Bhojpuri and Bengali. Her last film in Malayalam titled Paayum Puli in 2007 got good reviews and despite being in her mid 30s, she did one of her most glamorous roles for this film. Most of her movies are successful. In 2010, Rambha shot alongside Prakash Raj for a thriller film titled Vidiyum Varai Kathiru. The film was shot in three languages namely Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam, but the film did not have a theatrical release.
After her marriage she had given up films and has judged a very popular Tamil TV show Maanada Mayilada, and the Telugu dance show Dhee. After a long gap she came back from Toronto, she appeared as a judge of Zee Telugu dance show ABCD-Anybody Can Dance and judged Kings of Comedy Juniors on Vijay TV.
Rambha is married to Indrakumar Pathmanathan, chairman and chief executive officer of Magickwoods, a kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities manufacturing firm based in Toronto, Indyca Solutions (India) Private Limited and Indyca Exim Private Limited based in Kancheepuram. She got married on 8 April 2010, at Karnataka Kalyana Mandapam in Tirumala After marriage she settled in North York, Toronto. She gave birth to a daughter, Laanya on 13 January 2011, and on 27 March 2015 she delivered another baby girl, Sasha.  She gave birth to both of her daughters at Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto.
During July 2014, Rambha's sister-in-law booked a dowry harassment case against Rambha and her family for harassing her asking additional dowry. During May 2016, she came back to India with her daughters. She applied for a habeas corpus demanding 2.5 lakh Rupees money from her husband for maintenance of her daughters. Nearly a year after her return from Canada, with a hearing from Madras High Court, the couple decided to compromise and live together. After Rambha returned to India, she was summoned to appear before the court regarding the dowry harassment case.
In order of languages in which she acted the most to least number
|1992||Aa Okkati Adakku||Rambha||Telugu Debut|
|1993||Evandi Aavida Vachindi||Jhansi|
|Tholi Muddhu||Divya||Replaced Divya Bharti in the boxing scene since she died.
Server Somanna Kannada
|Pachcha Toranam||Latha Devi|
|Hello Brother||Herself||Cameo appearance in the song "Kanne Pettaro"|
|M Dharmaraju M.A.|
|Maya Bazaar||Herself||Cameo appearance|
|Vetagadu (1995 film)|
|1996||Bombay Priyudu||Raga Sudha|
|Akkada Ammayi Ikkada Abbayi||Herself||Cameo appearance in the song "Chaligali Jhummandhi"|
|Love Story 1999||Swapna|
|Iddaru Mitrulu||Herself||Cameo appearance in the song "Hey Rukkuman"|
|2001||Mrugaraju||Herself||Cameo appearance in the song "Ramaiah Paddaleti"|
|2005||Alex||Kiran TV News Reporter Deepika|
|2007||Desamuduru||Herself||Cameo appearance in the song "Attaantode Ittaantode"|
|Yamadonga||Herself||Cameo appearance in the song "Nachore Nachore"|
|Kadhalar Dhinam||Cameo appearance in song "Oh Mariya"|
|Unakkaga Ellam Unakkaga||Indhu|
|Unnaruge Naan Irundhal||Rambha|
|Kunguma Pottu Gounder||Alamelu Kandhasamy|
|Banda Paramasivam||Manju Cheran|
|2004||Chatrapathy||Cameo appearance in song "Ore Oru Raathirikku"|
|Azhagiya Theeye||Cameo appearance in song "Dil Mera Loot Liya"|
|2005||Sukran||Cameo appearance in song "Saathikadi"|
|2009||Quick Gun Murugun||Mango Dolly|
|Oru Kadhalan Oru Kadhali||Lakshmi|
|1998||Gharwali Baharwali||Manisha Verma|
|1999||Main Tere Pyaar Mein Pagal||Sonali|
|Beti No.1||Priya Bhatnagar|
|Dil Hi Dil Mein||Cameo appearance|
|2001||Kyo Kii... Main Jhuth Nahin Bolta||Tara|
|2002||Jaani Dushman: Ek Anokhi Kahani||Nita|
|Pyaar Diwana Hota Hai||Cameo appearance|
|2004||Dukaan: Pila House||Kasthuribai|
|2008||Kabadi Kabadi||Pooja/Sneha||Double role|
|2005||Pandu Ranga Vittala|
|2006||Gandugali Kumara Rama|
|2006||Purav Aur Paschim|
|Banke Bihari M.L.A.|
|Tere Me Mara|
|2009-2012||Manada Mayilada||Kalaignar TV||As a judge for Season 2, 3, 5 and 7|
|2011||Dhee Ultimate Dance Show||ETV Telugu||As a judge for Season 4|
|2014||Back to School||Star Vijay||Participant|
|2014||Jodi No 1||Star Vijay||As a judge for Season 8|
|2017||ABCD-Anybody Can Dance||Zee Telugu||Judge|
|2017||Kings of Comedy Juniors||Star Vijay||Judge|
- "'In Fiji they planted a tree called Rambha Tree'". Newindianexpress.com. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Rambha's dumb blonde act". India Today. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Watch Back to School episode 2 Online on hotstar.com". Hotstar. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "rediff.com, Movies: Rambha in conversation". m.rediff.com. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Rambha regains reel happiness! : Down South : Tamil News". Apunkachoice.com. 21 November 2008. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Rambha comes clean - Telugu Movie News". IndiaGlitz.com. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- Shankaran, Malini (8 June 2010). "'In Fiji they planted a tree called Rambha Tree'". Indian Express. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Kolors Health Care (14 July 2017). "Kolors Weight Loss Treatment Reviews-Actress Ramba". YouTube. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Indrakumar Pathmanathan - Director information and companies associated with - Zauba Corp". Zaubacorp.com. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Kayal Devaraj on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Rambha's Marriage Ends?". 17 October 2013.
- "Actress Rambha delivered a baby girl in Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada. Both baby and mother are fine". Times of India. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- Reporter, Staff; Reporter, Staff (23 July 2014). "Dowry case against actor Rambha and family". Thehindu.com. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Actress Rambha Calls Off Divorce With Husband Indrakumar?". Jfwonline.com. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Court's important advice to Ramba in her divorce case - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz.com. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- http://english.tupaki.com. "Rambha joined with her husband - Rambha Divorce Issue Colsed". tupaki. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Dowry case: Rambha gets summons". Times of India. Retrieved 3 June 2018.