|Type of business||Private|
|Headquarters||Varshavskoe shosse, 9|
|Key people||Dmitry Kryukov, creator|
Olga Turischeva, Chief Executive Officer
|Industry||Internet, Computer software|
Rambler (Russian: Рамблер) is a Russian search engine and one of the biggest Russian web portals. It is owned by the Rambler Media Group and Prof-Media since 2006. It was launched in 1996 by Stack Ltd, including Sergey Lysakov, Dmitry Kryukov, Vladimir Samoylov and others[better source needed].
Rambler has been online since 1996. In 2005 the Rambler Media Group went public, and was bought by Prof-Media in 2006.
On July 18, 2008 it was announced that Google was to acquire Begun, part of Rambler Media and one of the biggest Russian contextual advertising services for $140 million, but the deal was blocked by Russian Federal Antimonopoly Service.
In September 2016 it was reported that the site was breached in February 2012. LeakedSource received a dump of the user database at the time that included usernames, passwords, and ICQ instant messaging accounts for over 98 million users. It was revealed that the Rambler.ru database stored user passwords in plaintext — meaning that whoever breached the database instantly had access to the e-mail accounts of all of its users.
Services offered by Rambler include web search, e-mail, news aggregation, e-commerce and other services to the Russian-speaking community globally. It is complemented by a number of other Rambler Media Group owned web properties including:
- Lenta.ru: online Russian language newspaper
- Doktor.ru: health and medical advice
- Mama.ru: parenting advice
- Ferra.ru: information about computer equipment
- ""Проф-Медиа" приобретает 54.8% Rambler Media". Rambler.ru (in Russian). 2006-10-31. Retrieved 2008-10-21.[permanent dead link]
- "Google Press Center: Google To Acquire Russian Context Ads Service Begun". Google.com. Retrieved 2008-07-21.
- Alexander Levashov (2008-10-23). "ФАС не разрешила Google купить "Бегун"" (in Russian). RBC Holding. Archived from the original on 2008-10-24. Retrieved 2009-10-06.
- Rambler.ru - Alexa
- Gallagher, Sean. "More passwords, please: 98 million leaked from 2012 breach of "Russia's Yahoo"". Ars Technica. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- "LeakedSource: Rambler.ru breach". Archived from the original on 2 October 2016. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
|This article about a search engine website is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|