Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Mehreen Jabbar|
|Produced by||Javed Jabbar|
|Written by||Javed Jabbar|
|Screenplay by||Mohammad Ahmed|
|Edited by||Aseem Sinha|
|Budget||₨0.60 crore (US$59,000) |
|Box office||₨6.50 crore (US$640,000) (Domestic) |
Ramchand Pakistani (Urdu: رام چند پاکستانی) is an Urdu-language Pakistani drama film directed by Mehreen Jabbar and produced by Javed Jabbar. The film features Nandita Das, Rashid Farooqi, Syed Fazel Hussain, Maria Wasti and Noman Ijaz in lead roles.The film is based on a true story of a boy who inadvertently crosses the border between Pakistan and India and the following ordeal that his family has to go through. Ramchand Pakistani was also released in India.
Champa (Nandita Das) is a Hindu woman who is left desolate when her young son and husband disappear one day from their village at the Pakistan-India border near Nagarparkar, in Tharparkar. The film depicts the crossing of the Pakistan-India border, during a period (June 2002) of war-like tension between the two countries, by two members of a Pakistani Hindu family belonging to the 'untouchable' dalit caste, and the extraordinary consequences of this unintended action upon the lives of a woman, a man, and their son.
The singular theme of the film is how a child from Pakistan aged eight years learns to cope with the trauma of forced separation from his mother while being held prisoner, along with his father in the jail of a country (India), which is hostile to his own (Pakistan). Meanwhile, the wife-mother, devastated by their sudden disappearance builds a new chapter of her life, by her solitary struggle for sheer survival.
- Nandita Das as Champa
- Syed Fazal Hussain as Younger Ramchand
- Navaid Jabbar as Older Ramchand
- Rashid Farooqui as Shankar
- Maria Wasti as Kamla
- Nouman Ijaz as Abdullah
- Adnan Shah as Sharma
- Adarsh Ayaz as Moti
- Farooq Pario as Suresh
- Shahood Alvi as Asif Hussain
- Zhalay Sarhadi as Lakshmi
- Atif Badar as Lalu
- Saleem Mairaj as Vishesh
- Saif-e-Hasan as Murad
- Rao Saleem as Interrogator
- Karim Bux Baloch as Baloch
- Master Yaqub as Baba Gul
- Hassan Niazi as Deepak
- Kazim Raza as Professor
- Muhammad Rafiq as Bengali
- Sajid Shah as Inspector
- Iqbal Motilani as Maulvi
- Anis Chachar as Captain Saleem
The soundtrack is composed by Debojyoti mishra and include the following songs:
|01||Teri Meri Preet||Shubha Mudgal||Debojyoti Mishra||5:34|
|02||Allah Megh De||Shubha Mudgal & Shafqat Amanat Ali||Debojyoti Mishra||4:41|
|03||Phir Wahi Raste||Shafqat Amanat Ali||Debojyoti Mishra||5:52|
|04||Khari Neem Key Neechay||mai bhagee||Debojyoti Mishra||5:24|
|05||Tarrin Paunda||Allan Fakir||Debojyoti Mishra||6:09|
|06||Meri Maat||Instrumental||Debojyoti Mishra||4:19|
The film won the following awards:
- FIPRESCI Prize from the International Federation of Film Critics at the Osian Film Festival, July, 2008
- Honourable Mention by the 13th Annual Satyajit Ray Award at the 2008 London Film Festival.
- Best Actor for Rashid Farooqi at the KaraFilm Festival, Pakistan, 2009
- Audience Award at the Fribourg International Film Festival, Switzerland, March 2009.
- Honourable Mention by the Eucumenical Jury at the Fribourg International Film Festival, March 2009.
- Honourable Mention by the E Changer Award at the Fribourg Int'l Film Festival, March 2009
- Ramchand Pakistani received a silver medal in the feature film category at the 2012 SAARC Film Awards.
- Rashid Farooqui received the award for best actor in the feature film at the 2012 SAARC Film Awards.
- Ramchand Pakistani won Best Film Award on Pakistan Media Award in 2010.
- Gori temple, the site of Meri Maati song.
- Nagarparkar Bhodesar temple: the site of Tarrin Paunda song.
- "Pakistani movie to play in India". DAWN. 19 July 2008. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- "Ramchand Pakistani - Box Office". IboS Network. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- "Ramchand-Pakistani - Trailer - Cast - Showtimes". The New York Times.
- "Ramchand Pakistani". The Times of India.
- "Kolkata release of Pak film in limbo".
- Official website
- Ramchand Pakistani at the Internet Movie Database
- Interview: Director, Ramchand Pakistani
- Movie Review Ramchand Pakistani (2008)
- Detailed Analysis of Ramchand Pakistani